We have compiled our most popular domain-related articles into three different series, starting from concepts to how-to articles to troubleshooting and a bonus section for the newbie and advanced users out there. We've grouped them together to better guide you through purchasing, managing, updating, troubleshooting, and more when it comes to your domain. Here's the breakdown of what we have listed:
- "Hey, I am a newbie here!" - Starter level ⤵
- "Getting there..." - Intermediate level ⤵
- "I am a Pro!" - Advanced level ⤵
Whether you are an advanced expert or someone just starting out, you should be able to find something helpful here when it comes to domains. If it’s not listed in the series, use the search function above as there are more domain articles in our KB.
Still not finding it? Make sure to check out the HostGator Blog. If you still can’t find something, let us know in the widget that appears at the bottom of this article. We do read and use the information you provide to improve our Knowledgebase, so keep the feedback coming!
What do you want to do with your domain?
Here are some of the basic functions you can do with your domain name.
- How to Register a Domain Name with HostGator - Trying to register a new domain? We can definitely help you with the process!
- How Do I Renew My Domain Name? - Time to renew your domain? Take a peek at this guide.
- How Can I Transfer My Domain to HostGator? - Using your Customer Portal, you have the option to transfer your domain to us anytime.
- How to Update WHOIS Information - Want to update your domain's personal or business contact information? Good thinking! You can definitely do so within your Customer Portal. Please check out this article for the instructions.
- How to Cancel my Domain Name - Need to cancel your domain name? We are really sad to hear this; however, you have full control of your domain name. For canceling your domain name, please visit this article.
Please check out the article Domain How-To's for more information about domain management.
Let us uncover a few facts about domains!
- Understanding Domain Life Cycle - This article discusses the life cycle of domain names.
- What is the difference between domains vs. hosting vs. website? - Here is an article that gives you an idea of what a domain name is and how it is different from a web host and a website.
- Which Domain Names Can Be Hosted by HostGator? - Some domains require specific configurations for them to work. Know what these domains are in this article.
Need help in choosing a domain?
Getting ready to register a domain but got stuck on what domain to choose? You are not the only one! Let's take a breather and discuss a few things here.
- Advanced Tips on Picking a Domain Name - Here are a few tips on choosing a domain name!
- Choosing Your Domain Name - What are the factors you need to consider in choosing a domain? Check out this article for some ideas.
Let's get started!
As you now have an idea of what domain to register, you need to familiarize yourself with how to manage your domain once it's registered.
- Customer Portal - Domains- HostGator created a single control panel where you can manage both your web hosting plan and domains. This article discusses how you can manage your domain in your Customer Portal.
- I purchased my domain name from HostGator. How do I log into that account? Here's how you can access your domain control panel.
Is your website still down even after completing your domain registration or renewal, or perhaps even after your domain transfer to HostGator? There are many reasons as to what's causing this. We've compiled helpful articles that could help you troubleshoot your website.
- Basic Troubleshooting - You'll get to know how DNS records play an important role in making that "connection" between your domain and your website.
- Advanced Troubleshooting - Need more articles to show you further troubleshooting steps to fix your website? Visit this page to find out more.
If you'd like to familiarize yourself more with domains, we've got you covered! Here is a list of related articles about domain names.
"Hey, I'm a newbie here!" - Starter Level
If you're just starting your own website and would want to learn more about how domains work, here are a few more articles to guide you.
- HostGator Domain Registrars
- Is My Domain Registered with LaunchPad or eNom?
- What Is a Domain Name Registrar? (Blog)
- Why Update Your WHOIS Information
"Getting there..." - Intermediate Level
Continue learning new things and discover more about domain names! These support and blog articles will keep you going.
- How to Enable WHOIS Privacy
- How To Find Out Who The Domain Owner Is (Blog)
- I Registered A Domain, Now What? (Blog)
- Manage DNS Records with HostGator/eNom
- What is My EPP Code or Authorization Key?
"I am a Pro!" - Advanced Level
Are you looking for support articles to help you troubleshoot your website? These articles may help you. We also have a dedicated page, Domain Troubleshooting, that discusses domain-related issues.
- Error: Hostname Not Resolved to an IP Address
- How Do I Make My Private Name Servers the Default for All Accounts I create in WHM?
- How to Manage DNS records in WHM
- Site Down, Cannot See Website
You may also check our Knowledgebase if you're looking for other domain-specific topics!