How to Update your WHOIS Information with LaunchPad
According to ICANN regulation, whenever a domain is registered, accurate information must be submitted along with that registration. Maintaining accurate WHOIS information can be vital to managing your domain.
It is recommended that you use an email address independent of the domain you are registering since you will need access to this email address to verify your WHOIS information.
How to Update WHOIS Information
HostGator has created a new domain control panel which allows you access to add and manage all of your HostGator domains from a single control panel. The following instructions will show you how to change and manage the WHOIS information for your domains.
To change the WHOIS information for a domain:
- Go to https://portal.hostgator.com/domain/manage.
- Log in with your billing account email and password to access any domains attached to that billing account. (This will be the same login as http://portal.hostgator.com.) Once logged in, you will see any domains attached to the billing account along with basic information about each domain.
Note: If you forgot your password, click on the Forgot your password link below the login fields to reset your password.
- By clicking on a domain name, you can get to the Domain Overview which will show more details about the selected domain and provide access to several other functions.
- Click Contact Info from the left hand menu. You can then change the WHOIS contact information from this section.
- The contact information is separated into registrant, administrative, technical and billing contacts. You may input different data into each contact or click the Use for all contacts check box to use the registrant information for all four contacts.
- Once all the contact information has been filled out (don't forget to double-check for accuracy), click Save Contact Info to save your changes.
WHOIS Contact Updates
When any information listed for the WHOIS contact is updated now a few things will occur due to ICANN regulations. The first is a confirmation email, this is sent to the current email address or if the email address is being updated both the previous and new email address for confirmation of the change. Failure to complete both of the confirmation emails will result in the domain becoming suspended. The second is a 60-day transfer lock that will be applied to the domain and the transfer lock will prevent the domain from being able to be transferred away to another registrarExample WHOIS Change Warning
Important: Both email@example.com & firstname.lastname@example.org will need to confirm your changes before they are applied to this domain's Registrant contact info, even if both email@example.com & firstname.lastname@example.org are you.
Making these changes will place a 60-day transfer lock on this domain unless you opt-out of the transfer lock now. You will still need to verify these changes either way.
Do you wish to lock this domain from transfers for 60 days?