Launchpad: How to Enable WHOIS Privacy
According to ICANN regulation, whenever a domain is registered, accurate contact information must be submitted along with that registration. This information is then made publicly available through a WHOIS search. All domain owners are required to maintain accurate and valid personal or business contact information in their WHOIS data; however, you can keep this information private by enabling WHOIS Privacy Protection.
WHOIS Privacy Protection offers to protect your personal domain registration information from public WHOIS searches. Privacy Protection for your domain is only $14.95 per year, $29.90 for 2 years, or $44.85 for 3 years.
How to Enable WHOIS Privacy
The following instructions will show you how to enable WHOIS Privacy for your domains via the Customer Portal's Manage Domains page located at https://portal.hostgator.com/domain/manage.
To enable WHOIS Privacy Protection for a domain:
- Go to https://portal.hostgator.com/domain/manage
- If you are not already logged into the Customer Portal, you will be prompted to log in to it. Once logged in, click on the link listed above for step #1. You'll be directed to the page where you can manage the domains within the Customer Portal account.
Note: If you forgot your password, click on the Forgot your password? link below the log in fields to reset your password.
- Click on a domain name to get the Domain Overview.
The Domain Overview shows more details about the selected domain and provides access to several other functions to manage the domain name.
- Click the Domain Privacy tab from the left-hand menu.
- On the Domain Privacy page, select the Private radio button to enable Domain Privacy or select the Public radio button to disable Domain Privacy.
- If you enable the Private option, you'll see a message indicating the introductory and renewal prices for Domain Privacy down by the Save button.
- Click Save to save your changes.
You will be invoiced for the Domain Privacy if you opt to sign-up for it, and WHOIS Privacy will then be enabled for your domain.