Registering a Domain Name with HostGator
LaunchPad is HostGator's domain registrar. Any registered domains will be part of this system during the initial account setup. LaunchPad allows you to register a domain directly at hostgator.com/domains or via the Customer Portal.
This article discusses the following topics:
- Register a domain name with a new web hosting plan⤵
- How to register a domain name (without a hosting plan) ⤵
- Validate your domain order ⤵
- Domain sniping ⤵
"Can I register a domain name together with a new hosting plan?"
Yes, you definitely can! If you don't have a domain name yet and you're planning to order a new hosting package with us, we recommend registering your new domain name while purchasing your web hosting package. Just enter the domain you want to register on the top section of the Order Web Hosting form, and we will include it in your order.
How to register a domain name
Domain name registration does not require that web hosting be purchased with it, just as web hosting does not require domain name purchase through LaunchPad. You can choose to sign up for either one separately.
Here is a video guide we created to assist with your domain name registration.
Please click the links below to know how to register a domain.
- Register via hostgator.com/domains (front-of-site) ⤵
- Register via Customer Portal ⤵
- Register with Support assistance ⤵
Register via hostgator.com/domains
If you pay with either a credit card or PayPal, you can automatically register any of the following domain names via hostgator.com/domains directly.
.BIZ .CLUB .CO .COM .HOST .INFO .ME .NET .ONLINE .ORG .SITE .SPACE .STORE .TECH .US .WEBSITE
Register via Customer Portal
- Log in to your Customer Portal.
- Click Domains from the left menu.
- Hit the Register a Domain button on top.
- You will be redirected to the Search Domains page. Enter the domain you want to register in the search box and click the Search button.
- If the domain is unavailable, you may search for a different domain or add a recommended alternative domain to your cart with the Add To Cart button.
- If the domain is available, it will automatically be added to your cart along with Data Privacy.
- Privacy protection may be added or removed from your domain by clicking the X or + next to Privacy Protection in your cart.
We strongly recommend that you keep Domain Privacy to protect your domain's personal and business contact information. For more information, please refer to the article Launchpad: How to Enable Domain Privacy.
- You may search for additional domains you wish to register or click the Add To Cart button next to any domain recommendations.
- Once your selection is complete, check your domain(s) to ensure their correct spelling. Please note that we are unable to edit the domain name once it's already registered. You can also remove extra domains or Domain Privacy from your cart.
- Click Continue to Checkout. If you do not have an account, you will be prompted to create one.
- Select your preferred payment method, enter your billing details, and click Continue to Checkout again.
- On the next page, you will have the option to change your registration term, set your name servers, and enter your discount code.
- Click Place Your Order.
Register with Support assistance
You can register a new domain with or without a hosting plan. However, some domains and payment methods may require you to contact HostGator's Support for assistance.
For a complete list of the domains that we can register, including all domains not available through our online portal and those that require Live Support, please see the following article:
Validate your new domain name
Once the domain has completed the provisioning process, which usually takes 24-48 hours, you will be required to validate your domain order. This is a necessary step in the domain registration process following the ICANN 2013 Registrar Accreditation Agreement. For more information regarding the domain validation process, please see the following article:
You may check the status of your new domain through your Customer Portal's Domains section.
What is domain sniping?
Domain sniping, also known as "domain drop catching," is the practice of registering a domain name immediately after it expires. For more information on how to avoid domain sniping, check out this support guide: