Registering a Domain Name with HostGator
It is important to note that domain name registration does not require that web hosting be purchased with it, just as web hosting does not require domain name purchase through HostGator's registrar LaunchPad. You can choose to sign up for either one separately.
This article will cover the following topics:
- Register a Domain with a New Web Hosting Order
- Launchpad Domain Registration
- Does HostGator Protect Me from Domain Name Sniping?
Register a Domain with a New Web Hosting Order
If you are ordering a new web hosting package with HostGator, it is best that you register your domain at the same time you purchase your web hosting. On the web hosting order form, there is a section where you can register your domain. Simply specify the domain you want to register on the order form, and we will include it in your order.
Launchpad Domain Registration
LaunchPad is HostGator's domain registrar. Any domains purchased during the initial account set up of Shared and Reseller plans will be part of this system. LaunchPad also allows you to purchase domain names directly at hostgator.com/domains.
If you are registering a domain without hosting, the recommended method is to register it automatically online. However, some domains and payment methods may require you to use support to register your domain:
How to Register a Domain Automatically
Here is a video guide we created to assist you with your domain registration.
If you pay with either a credit card or PayPal, you can automatically register any of the following domain names via hostgator.com/domains directly.
.BIZ .CLUB .CO .COM .HOST .INFO .ME .NET .ONLINE .ORG .SITE .SPACE .STORE .TECH .US .WEBSITE
Via the Customer Portal
To register a new domain through your Customer Portal:
- Click the Domains tab from the left-hand menu.
- Hit the Register a Domain button on top.
- You will be redirected to the Search Domain page. Enter the domain you want to register in the search box and click the Search button.
- If the domain is not available, you may search for a different domain or add a recommended alternative domain to your cart with the Add To Cart button.
- If the domain is available, it will automatically be added to your cart along with Domain Privacy.
Please refer to this article to know more about Domain Privacy and to help you decide whether to keep it or not during the registration, though we strongly recommend you do so: Domain Privacy.
- Privacy protection may be added or removed from your domain by clicking the x or + next to Privacy Protection in your cart.
- You may search for additional domains you wish to purchase or click the Add To Cart button next to any domain recommendations you'd like to add.
- Once your selection is complete, check your domain(s) to make sure the spelling is correct and it is the exact domain you want to purchase. You can also remove extra domains or domain privacy in your cart.
- Click Continue to Checkout.
Note: If you do not have an account, you will be prompted to create one or use your existing billing account credentials to log in.
- Select your preferred payment method, enter your details, and click Continue to Checkout again.
- On the next page, you will have the option to change your registration term, set your name servers, and enter your discount code.
- Click Place Your Order.
Once the domain has completed the provisioning process, which usually takes 24-48 hours, you will be required to validate your domain order. This is a required step in the domain registration process in accordance with the ICANN 2013 Registrar Accreditation Agreement. For more information regarding the domain order validation process, please see the following article:
You can check the status of your domain through your Customer Portal's Domains section.
If you have difficulty choosing a domain name, here are some articles with tips on making your decision:
How to Register a Domain with Support Assistance
To register domains not supported by the Customer Portal or to pay with another method, please contact our Billing department via phone or Live Chat, and we will assist you in registering your domain.
For a complete list of the domains that we can register, including all domains not available through our online portal, please see the following article:
Does HostGator Protect Me from Domain Name Sniping?
To ger more information to avoid domain sniping, please see the following article: