Unlock a Domain Status, How to
Domain locking is how you control whether or not your domain can be moved to another registrar. Any domain you register with HostGator will automatically be set to a locked status, meaning it cannot be transferred away from its current registrar.
HostGator has created a new domain control panel that allows you to add and manage all of your HostGator domains from a single control panel. The following instructions will show you how to change the lock status of your domains using this new control panel.
To change the lock status for a HostGator domain:
- Log in to the Customer Portal. Use your billing account email and password to access any domains attached to that billing account.
Note: If you forgot your password, click on the Forgot your password link to reset your password.
- Click on the Domains tab.
- Click on the desired domain name to get to the Domain Overview, which will show more details about the selected domain and provide access to several other functions.
- Click the Domain Locking tab from the left-hand menu.
- Select the Locking OFF radio button to unlock the domain on the Domain Locking page or select the Locking ON radio button to lock the domain.
- Click Save Domain Locking to save your changes.
Your domain will now be locked or unlocked, depending on what you choose.