Unlock a Domain Status, How to
Domain locking is how you control whether or not your domain can be moved to another registrar. Any domain you register with HostGator will automatically be set to a locked status, meaning that it cannot be transferred away from its current registrar.
HostGator has created a new domain control panel that allows you to add and manage all of your HostGator domains from a single control panel. The following instructions will show you how to change the lock status of your domains using this new control panel.
To change the lock status for a HostGator domain:
- Login to the Customer Portal
- Log in with your billing account email and password to access any domains attached to that billing account. (This will be the same login as https://portal.hostgator.com.) Once logged in, you will see any domains linked to the billing account, along with basic information about each domain.
Note: If you forgot your password, click on the Forgot your password link below the log in fields to reset your password.
- Click on the Manage Domains tab.
- Click on the desired domain name to get to the Domain Overview, which will show more details about the selected domain and provide access to several other functions.
- Click the Domain Locking tab from the left-hand menu.
- On the Domain Locking page, select the Locking OFF radio button to unlock the domain, or select the Locking ON radio button to lock the domain.
- Click Save Domain Locking to save your changes.
Your domain will now be locked or unlocked, depending on what you chose.