How To Unlock a Domain
The Domain Locking status is a security feature designed to keep your domain safe from unauthorized transfer to another registrar. Any domain you register with HostGator will automatically be set to a locked status, meaning it cannot be transferred away from its current registrar.
With HostGator, we want to make it easier for you to manage your hosting plans, billing, and domains in a single control panel. The following instructions will show you how to change the lock status of your domains within your Customer Portal.
Hey, just so you are aware, unlocking your domain within your Customer Portal will get you access to your EPP code (also known as authorization key, auth code, or transfer key), a unique code that protects your domain from being transferred away to another registrar. If you unlock your domain, this means you are allowing your domain to be transferred AWAY from your HostGator account, your current registrar.
To manage your domain's locking status:
- Log in to your Customer Portal.
- Click Domains on the left menu.
- Click on your domain to get to the Domain Overview, which displays more details about the selected domain and provides access to several other functions.
- Click on the Change link beside the Locking menu.
Alternatively, you can also click the Domain Locking tab from the left sidebar.
- Toggle button to your desired setting.
- If you toggle the lock ON, your domain will be kept safe within your Customer Portal, and HostGator will continue to be your domain's registrar.
If you toggle the lock OFF, the EPP Key section will be displayed, making your domain open and ready to be transferred to another registrar anytime.
- Click on the Request Your EPP Key button to view your domain's unique EPP code/authorization code.
- Copy the code and provide this to your preferred registrar so they can process your domain transfer request.
- Click Save Domain Locking. Your domain will now be locked or unlocked, depending on what you selected.