How Do I Change My DNS or Name Servers?
For people to find your website, you will need to configure DNS and set name servers. You can either use HostGator's name servers or use third-party name servers. Either way, you would need to configurae them, so your domain works with your HostGator web hosting account.
- Option 1: Use HostGator Name Servers ⤵
- Option 2: Use Non-HostGator Name Servers ⤵
Option 1: Use HostGator Name Servers (Recommended)
The recommended route for most customers is to use HostGator's name servers since they are automatically configured to work with HostGator web hosting accounts.
Step 1: Locate your HostGator Name Servers
The first step would be to determine which name servers you should use for your HostGator hosting account. This varies by server and type of hosting. Here are ways to check your hosting account's name servers.
- In your Welcome Email. Regardless of the hosting plan, you purchased from HostGator; a Welcome email was sent to your primary email address on file. These name servers can be used on all sites that are hosted in your hosting plan. See screenshot below.
- In Your cPanel. You can locate your name servers by looking at the right-hand side of your cPanel homepage. The sample image below shows the name servers for a shared hosting plan.
- In your Customer Portal ........................
For more information on how to find out your name servers, please read the article:
Step 2: Change Your Name Servers
The domain is purchased from HostGator
This video shows how to change a domain's name servers registered to both Enom and Launchpad.
Here are the steps outlined in the video above.
- Go to the Customer Portal.
- You will be asked for your billing email address and password to access any domains attached to that billing account.
- If you are unsure of your password, click the Forgot your password link below the log in fields.
- Once logged in, click on Domains on the left-hand menu.
- Locate the domain you wish to update the name servers.
- Click the More button to display the Domain Overview section where you can see more options.
- Click on the Change link under the Name Servers.
- Enter the name servers where you wish to point the domain name.
For more information on changing name servers for domains registered with HostGator, you can check out this article.
Changing Name Servers at Popular Registrars
- If you did NOT purchase your domain from us, we are not able to change the name servers because we don't control the domain. Please contact the company where you bought the domain and ask how to make the name server updates.
- Some registrars may call these nameservers or name-servers when you are looking for information on how to make this change (Most domain registrars have a tool so you can do this yourself.)
- You will remove your registrar's current name servers and replace them with the HostGator name servers.
To make things easier, we have compiled instructions from popular registrars.
- Registry Rocket (eNom Resellers)
- Network Solutions
- Public Domain Registry (PDR)
- Wild West Domains
These instructions are up-to-date as of the day we posted them. However, some registrars frequently change their website and may use different terms (such as referring to your name servers as nameservers), so expect variations from the instructions provided.
Option 2: Use Name Servers Elsewhere (Advanced)
For some advanced users, it may be desirable to use different name servers (registrar instructions provided in Step 2). This requires more maintenance since it is not automatically updated like HostGator name servers are. If you wish to point your domain to HostGator while using third-party name servers, you will need to manage your domains' DNS records and point them to HostGator. For more details on how to do this, read the following article: