How to Change GoDaddy Name Servers
While HostGator cannot modify name servers at third-party registrars on your behalf, we can provide you with instructions on how to do so. Here's how you can change your name servers at GoDaddy.
Why change name servers?
You may be asking yourself, "Why do I need to change my domain's name servers?" If you purchased HostGator hosting, but your domain is over at GoDaddy, you essentially need to tell your domain that it needs to look at HostGator for its website files and emails. You do this by updating the name servers. After updating your name servers, you may choose to then work on transferring your domain over to HostGator so that you can manage the domain and hosting all in one place. If you are interested in transferring your domain, check out the article How Can I Transfer My Domain to HostGator?
How to Point a GoDaddy Domain to HostGator
- Before you get started, you will want to make sure that you have your HostGator name server information handy.
Note: Your HostGator name servers will be provided to you in your HostGator Welcome email. They can also be found within your Customer Portal, and for Shared and Cloud hosting plans, your nameservers (Primary Nameserver and Secondary Nameserver) can be found within your cPanel on the right-hand side in the General Information section.
- Log in to your GoDaddy Domain Control Center.
- In the upper right-hand, click on your name to get a drop-down menu.
- Select My Products from the drop-down menu.
- Under the Domains section, you should see your domain listed.
- To the right of the domain, you will have options available. Click the DNS button.
- Scroll down to the Nameservers section, and click on Change.
- Select the option Enter my own nameservers (advanced).
(This may be in the lower left-hand corner of the page.)
- Enter your HostGator name servers in the spaces provided for the primary and secondary nameservers.
- Click Save or Connect to finalize the changes.
HostGator customers can change their domain DNS within the Customer Portal and cPanel interface. For more information, please see the following articles: