How to Change GoDaddy Name Servers
While HostGator cannot modify name servers at third-party registrars on your behalf, we can provide instructions on how to do so. Here's how you can change your name servers at GoDaddy.
Why change name servers?
You may ask yourself, "Why do I need to change my domain's name servers?" If you purchased HostGator hosting, but your domain is over at GoDaddy, you need to tell your domain to look at HostGator for its website files and emails. You do this by updating the name servers. After updating your name servers, you may choose to then work on transferring your domain over to HostGator so that you can manage the domain and hosting all in one place. If you want to transfer your domain, check out the article How Can I Transfer My Domain to HostGator?
How to point a GoDaddy domain to HostGator
Step 1: Find the Name Servers for your Hosting Account
The first step is determining which name servers you should use for your HostGator hosting account. This varies by server and hosting. For instructions on how to find out your name servers, please read the article:
Step 2: Update your Name Servers
While we try to make sure you have the most up-to-date information, GoDaddy is a third party, and the steps to update your domain's name server may change without us knowing.
- Log in to your GoDaddy Domain Control Center.
- Click on your domain name, then navigate to the Domains Settings section.
- Click Manage DNS, found in the Additional Settings section.
- Click Change in Name servers
- Choose the option Enter my own nameservers (advanced).
- On the next page, enter your two HostGator name servers.
- Click Save or Connect to finalize the changes.
- Click a check on the box next to Yes, I consent to update name servers.
- You may receive a verification email to confirm the change.
- Once confirmed, you can now see your updates by logging back into your GoDaddy account and navigating to the Nameservers section again.
HostGator customers can change their domain DNS within the Customer Portal and cPanel interface. For more information, please see the following articles: