How to Change GoDaddy Name Servers
While HostGator cannot modify name servers at third-party registrars on your behalf, we can provide you with instructions on how to do so. Here's how you can change your name servers at GoDaddy.
Why change name servers?
You may be asking yourself, "Why do I need to change my domain's name servers?" If you purchased HostGator hosting, but your domain is over at GoDaddy, you essentially need to tell your domain that it needs to look at HostGator for its website files and emails. You do this by updating the name servers. After updating your name servers, you may choose to then work on transferring your domain over to HostGator so that you can manage the domain and hosting all in one place. If you are interested in transferring your domain, check out the article How Can I Transfer My Domain to HostGator?
How to Point a GoDaddy Domain to HostGator
- Before you get started, you will want to make sure that you have your HostGator name server information handy.
Note: Your HostGator name servers will be provided to you in your HostGator Welcome email. They can also be found within your Customer Portal. Your nameservers (NS1 and NS1) can be found within your cPanel on the right-hand side in the DNS Box on Shared and Cloud hosting plans.
- Log in to your GoDaddy Domain Control Center.
- In the upper right-hand corner, click on your name.
- Select My Products from the dropdown menu.
- Under the Domains section, you should see your domain listed.
- Locate your domain name from that section, then click the DNS button.
- Scroll down to the Nameservers section.
- Click Change.
- Choose the option Enter my own nameservers (advanced).
- On the next page, enter your two HostGator name servers.
- Click Save or Connect to finalize the changes.
- You may receive a verification email to confirm the change.
- Once confirmed, you can now see your updates by logging back into your GoDaddy account and navigating to the Nameservers section again.
HostGator customers can change their domain DNS within the Customer Portal and cPanel interface. For more information, please see the following articles: