How to Change Name Servers with IONOS
While HostGator cannot modify domains at third-party registrars on your behalf, we can provide you with instructions on how to do so. Here's how you can change your domain settings at IONOS (Formerly known as 1&1).
We always strive to ensure you have the most up-to-date information, IONOS is a third-party, and the steps below may change without us knowing.
- Log in to the Ionos Control Panel. Please use either your Customer ID or domain name and your password. Please click the links below to be redirected to the IONOS login page.
- Click the gear icon next to the domain you wish to modify.
- Under Actions, click on Name Servers.
- From the options, click on Custom Name Servers.
- On the next page, do the following:
- Enter the Primary name server address in the Name Server 1 text box.
- Select backup name servers from the Additional name servers drop-down menu.
Note: The Additional name servers act as a backup in the case of an outage by your primary name server, which will result in traffic being directed to the IP address of your Additional name servers.
- Click Save to confirm your changes.
Once you have made changes to your domain at the registrar, there will be 24-48 hours of DNS propagation time, during which your website and email may not be available.
For additional assistance, please contact IONOS directly. Our support can only provide the information shown here.