Changing Name Servers with LaunchPad
Name servers are essentially addresses for a server which you can use to point a domain to a desired server. If you registered a domain with a new hosting package, the domain should already be pointed to the proper HostGator server, but sometimes you may have incorrect name servers or need to change which name servers your domain is pointed to.
HostGator has created a new domain control panel which allows you access to add and manage all of your HostGator domains from a single control panel. The following instructions will show you how to change your domain's name servers using this new control panel.
To change the name servers for HostGator domain:
- Go to https://portal.hostgator.com/
- Log in with your billing account email and password to access any domains attached to that billing account. Once logged in, you will see any domains attached to the billing account along with basic information about each domain.
Note: If you forgot your password, click on the Forgot your password link below the login fields to reset your password.
- Click the Domains tab from the left-hand side menu:
- When you click on a domain name, the Domain Overview window will open and show more details and options for the selected domain.
- Hover your mouse over the icons on the left, then click Name Servers:
- From here you may either enter specific name servers or automatically point your domain to one of your hosting packages:
- To automatically point your domain to an existing hosting package:
- Select Automatically point my domain to my hosting account.
- Select the package you wish to point your domain to from the drop down box.
- Click the Save Name Servers button.
- To manually point your domain to specific name servers:
- Select Manually set my name servers.
- Enter as many name servers as you wish. To add more than 2 name servers click the + icon next to the lowest Name Server:
- To use managed DNS with your domain the name servers for the domain must be set to the following:
ns4.launchpad.comCurrently, we can set up a URL redirect for any domain without hosting for no extra fees; however, the name servers must be set to these name servers. To have us do this for you, please contact our Billing Department via phone or Live Chat to tell us which domain and where it will redirect.
- Once you have entered your name servers, click Save Name Servers to save your changes. Please remember that name server changes can take 24 to 48 hours to propagate.