Frequently Asked Questions
In order to quickly provide you with the answers you need, we have gathered solutions to our most common inquiries in this knowledge base article. It will be updated regularly to reflect the most relevant information.
Jump to a Section:
- I received a notice that said my site(s) is abusing server resources. What do I do next?
- I just registered a domain name and it doesn't seem to work yet. Is there anything else I need to do?
- I just ordered a Reseller account and I'd like to set up DNS. What are private name servers and how do I set them up?
- I would like to purchase hosting, but I'm not sure which hosting plan is best for my needs.
- I just signed up, and I'm a bit overwhelmed. How do I start using my account?
- I know I received an invoice but can't find it. Where can I find my invoice?
- I need to make a payment. Where do I go to pay?
- I have files that need to be uploaded. What are the steps needed to add them to the server?
1. I received a notice that said my site is abusing server resources. What do I do next?
There are various reasons why a site may utilize more than its normal share of server resources. Unfortunately, it is often unexpected and doesn't necessarily follow a major modification of your website; this can make it difficult to identify the cause and ultimately resolve the issue.
The following resources may be able to help you resolve this issue:
To begin troubleshooting this issue, you should have a basic understanding of the limits and resources for your account and what happens when they're reached:
- Account Limits Summary
- CPU Resource Usage
- How Much Disk Space Do I Get for Email
- Where Can I Find Your Terms of Service?
- What Happens to Someone Abusing System Resources?
Resolve the Issue
The following articles can help you troubleshoot your resource usage issues:
2. I just registered a domain name and it doesn't seem to work yet. Is there anything else I need to do?
Congratulations on the new domain name! There may be additional steps required to configure your new domain name. If you ordered your domain name along with your hosting package, it should already be configured for your hosting package and you will just need to wait for DNS propagation.
If you purchased your domain separately, it may or may not have automatically been associated with the correct hosting package. You can check by performing a WHOIS lookup to query your domain name's settings. The WHOIS results will contain the currently configured name servers.
For help determining what your name servers should be, please review:
If you need to update/change your name servers, please see:
3. I just ordered a Reseller account and I'd like to set up DNS. What are private name servers and how do I set them up?
Private name servers are DNS name servers that are associated with a particular domain name as opposed to being associated with those of HostGator. Private name servers can only be used on our Reseller, VPS and Dedicated Server hosting plans. It is not possible to use private name servers on our Shared hosting plans (Hatchling, Baby, and Business).
To learn more about the benefit of private name servers and how to set them up, please see:
4. I would like to purchase hosting, but I'm not sure which hosting plan is best for my needs.
We have developed the following resources to help you determine the best hosting plan to suit your needs:
5. I just signed up, and I'm a bit overwhelmed. How do I start using my account?
Welcome to the swamp! We're here to help you get your website(s) going! For help getting started with your specific hosting plan, please see:
6. I know I received an invoice but can't find it. Where can I find my invoice?
You can view all your invoices within the Customer Portal. We have kept the Customer Portal separate from the support system for security reasons. It allows account owners the ability to give hosting control access to web developers, friends, and associates without the concern of them accessing billing information.
You can log into your Customer Portal by visiting: https://portal.hostgator.com
For more details about your portal, please see:
7. I need to make a payment. Where do I go to pay?
The Make a Payment page enables you to make a one-time payment for due invoices or to pre-pay invoices for any active package. Please view Customer Portal-Make a Payment for more information on how to use the Make a Payment page.
8. I have files that need to be uploaded. What are the steps needed to add them to the server?
If you need to upload files to your hosting account, you may opt to use the File Manager or FTP. The following resources will provide you with the steps needed to upload your files: