How to Configure CuteFTP
There are many different ways you can establish a connection using CuteFTP. The video below will show various ways you can make a connection. Below the video are steps to connect through quickest method: the connection bar.
Configuring a Connection
The quickest and easiest way to establish a connection between a local machine (the computer you are connecting from) and a remote server (the computer/server you are connecting to) using CuteFTP is by using the connect bar at the top of the screen, below the toolbar. (If you would like to save a connection for later, use the Site Manager tab.)
- Enter the correct Host/Domain/IP address into the Host field.
- This could be the server name, the server IP, domain name and, in some cases, ftp.domain.com. For a HostGator account, your domain will be fine as long as it is properly pointed towards the server.
- Enter the correct FTP username into the Username field. This can be the cPanel username which is also an FTP account or an FTP account which you have setup.
- If connecting via an additional FTP account, make sure to use the full FTP username (ex: firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Enter the correct password for the user previously entered.
- Enter port 21 for FTP and port 22 for Secure FTP (SFTP).
- To finalize the FTP connection, click the connection icon to the right of the port field. For an SFTP connection:
- Click the settings icon to the right of the port field.
- Under the Type tab, change the protocol to SFTP using SSH2 (Secure Shell).
- Click OK on the settings window.
- Finalize the connection by clicking the connection icon.
You should now be successfully connecting to your remote server using CuteFTP. You will now want to learn how to manage your files using CuteFTP.