How To Create an FTP Account in cPanel
An FTP account is used for uploading and managing files on your website. It is automatically created in cPanel when you sign up for hosting, create a cPanel, create an addon domain or subdomain, or enable anonymous FTP. So, by default, you already have an FTP account in your cPanel. Use your cPanel username and password to log in to it.
You can create new FTP accounts to give access to other users without giving them your cPanel and billing login credentials. For each additional FTP account created, you can also give each user different levels of access by assigning the user to a specific directory only.
Here is a video tutorial to guide you on how to create an FTP account.
To create an FTP account:
- Log in to cPanel
- Look into the Files section, then click on FTP Accounts.
- Enter the necessary information in the required fields.
- In the Log in field, type the name of the FTP user. A full FTP user name will always be formatted as email@example.com.
- Choose the domain where you wish to create the FTP account by selecting it from the Domain dropdown menu. You cannot create an FTP account without your domain name in it, regardless of the publish destination.
In the Password fields, enter a password that will be used to authenticate this FTP account.
In the Directory field, cPanel will auto-populate an assumed directory based on the FTP username, but that is normally incorrect. So, we recommend providing the directory you would like the user to access.
If you erase everything and type a single "/", the user will have access to your home directory (anything outside of the public_html folder).Note: In this step, you can determine the level of access for a user. The FTP user will not be able to navigate outside of the specified directory; however, they will be able to access all files and subfolders inside that folder.
- Set a Quota for the FTP account. The quota is the maximum amount of bandwidth the FTP user may use. If you leave the quota as unlimited, the FTP user will have the ability to use the total amount of bandwidth for the cPanel account.
Click Create FTP Account.