How to Manage Files with CuteFTP
Once connected to a server via CuteFTP, it is crucial to understand how files are managed within this environment.
The following video is a guide through the different tasks one can perform within CuteFTP with additional descriptions below:
Navigating the Files
It is essential to become familiar with the layout of CuteFTP.
- At the top of CuteFTP is a toolbar for quick access to most functions. Hovering over an icon for a moment will show a short description of that tool.
- Below the toolbar is the connection bar, which asks for the connection details (host, username, password, port).
- Below the connection bar are three sections:
- The left section has two tabs. The Local Drives tab allows access to your local machine's files and folders (the PC currently running CuteFTP). The Site Manager tab allows easy organization and management of various FTP connections to be easily found and connected to in the future time.
- The right section will be blank when you first start CuteFTP but will allow access to your remote connections' files and folders. If there are multiple connections, there will be a tab for each connection made.
- The far bottom section of CuteFTP has two tabs. The Queue Window shows status information for any transfer in progress. The Log Window shows log information on all completed processes, whether those processes were completed successfully or not.
Renaming a File or Folder
To rename a file or folder:
- Right-click on the item to be renamed.
- Select Rename from the drop-down menu.
- Edit the name of the file or folder.
Additionally, you can rename a file or folder by using the Rename tool in the toolbar.
Adding a Folder
To add a folder:
- Right-click on any space.
- Select New Folder in the popup menu.
- Name the folder in the next popup window.
- Click OK.
Moving Files and Folders
To move any file or folder:
- Click on the item to be moved.
- Drag the item to the desired location.
Notes on Moving Files and Folders
- A file or folder can be moved within the same section or to another section.
- If moving files from the local section to the remote section will copy the files rather than move them. As an alternative, you can transfer files.
- Several items may be moved/transferred by highlighting them and then clicking and dragging the highlighted selections to the appropriate location.