What is the Difference Between a Seat and an Alias?
Every user in a G Suite account has a primary address for signing in to their account and receiving mail. To have and use a primary email address a seat (or license) must be purchased for every single user. If a user wants another email address, you can create an email alias for them.
What Does this Mean?
What this means is that you will need to purchase a seat for each set of user credentials, which will give access to a single mailbox, but that each mailbox may create up to 30 aliases to receive email from and reply to up to 31 total email addresses from their mailbox.
Each user will continue to only log in using their primary email address. If you wish for multiple users to manage email accounts for your domain name, you will need to purchase a seat for each one.
When Should I Buy Additional Seats?
If you need to have more than one person access email addresses for your domain, or if you need to manage more than 31 email addresses for your domain, you will need additional seats.
How Can I Buy Additional Seats?
To purchase additional seats:
- Log into your Billing Portal
- Click the Hosting tab at the top of the page.
- Click the drop down box in the menu bar and select the hosting package with G Suite.
- Click the G Suite icon.
- Click the gear in the top right corner of the Shortcuts area and select Upgrade License Count:
- Select the desired total number of licenses, then click the Upgrade Now button to complete your order.
After you have purchased additional seats, you may add them via the Google administrator console. To add users for whom you have purchased seats:
- Log into your Google Administrator Console with your admin account.
- Click the Users icon:
- Hover your mouse over the + button in the bottom right corner and click Add User:
- In the new popup window, enter all of the information for the user you wish to create, then click the Create button:
- A window will pop up confirming all your details. You can email the login details to the new user by clicking email and providing an address where they can receive their new login credentials:
The new user will now be able to log into your Google services with the password generated in step 4!