How Do I Cancel My Account?
We're sorry to see you go. If there is anything we can do to keep you as a customer, please let us know. If you need assistance with your bill or need to pause your website temporarily, we can help! Please don’t feel like you have to cancel your account. Contact us via phone or Live Chat so we can find a solution that works for you.
What Do You Wish to Cancel?
Depending on what hosting package subscription you wish to cancel in your account, please click the link below for the instructions.
Before proceeding with the cancellation, it is important to know what type of hosting account you will be cancelling. Here are the two types of accounts you may find in our front-of-site. Please note the differences in their portals.
Gator Builder Portal
If your portal looks like the image below, you are currently in your Gator Builder account. To cancel your Gator Builder plan, please refer to this article: Gator Builder Hosting Package.
HostGator Customer Portal
If your portal looks like the image below, then you are in your HostGator Customer Portal. This account is where you can find the following hosting plans:
- Shared, Cloud and Reseller hosting plans
- VPS hosting plan
- Dedicated hosting plan
- Optimized WordPress plan
You can cancel your hosting plan via the direct link or through manual cancellation, as discussed in this article.
- Hosting Plan Subscription via Direct Link
- Hosting Plan Subscription via Manual Cancellation
- How to Delete a HostGator Optimized WordPress Hosting Blog
- Domain Name Renewal
- Hosting Addons
- HostGator International Accounts
How to Cancel my Hosting Package via Direct Link
The easiest way to cancel your hosting plan is by using this link to our cancellation form:
Note: Make sure you are already logged into your Customer Portal before you click on the link.
If you have multiple hosting packages in your account, on the cancellation page, please make sure that the right hosting package is selected before finalizing the cancellation. In the upper right-hand corner, you'll see the primary domain associated with the package. If you run into issues or have concerns about selecting the right hosting package to cancel, please don't hesitate to contact us via phone or Live Chat.
To check if you are cancelling the correct hosting plan in your HostGator account:
- In your Customer Portal's cancellation page, check the primary domain in the top right corner to make sure you selected the correct hosting plan.
- This section displays the primary domain of the hosting package.
- Select the reason why you wish to cancel the hosting package.
- Click the Continue button once the reason is selected.
- Another pop-up window will appear, giving you the option to contact Support or Finish Cancelling. Click Finish Cancelling to finalize the cancellation.
- Select the Take me Back to Billing button to go back to the billing page.
You will no longer be charged for this hosting package's renewal. It will remain active only until its next renewal date. Please make sure to generate a backup before the renewal date.
Note: Cancelling the web hosting plan does NOT automatically cancel your domain name registration.
How to Manually Cancel my Gator Builder Hosting Plan
To cancel your Gator Builder account, please visit this article: Cancel Gator Accounts.
How to Manually Cancel my Shared, Reseller, Cloud, VPS, or Dedicated Hosting Plan
- Log in to your Customer Portal.
- Select Hosting from the left-hand menu.
- In the Hosting Packages section, locate the hosting plan you wish to cancel, then click the Manage link below it.
- On the next page, click the Billing tab.
- In the Billing section, scroll a little bit down and click Cancel Package.
- Read through and complete the fields in the form to submit your cancellation request.
- Make sure to select the checkbox I give permission to terminate the plan above on the scheduled renewal date to proceed.
- Finally, click the Cancel Package button. Please allow 72 hours for this request to be completed.
How to Delete my Optimized WordPress Blog
If you do not wish to cancel your Optimized WordPress Plan but instead want to delete the WordPress blog only, you can do so through your Customer Portal.
To cancel your WordPress package:
- Select the WordPress package you wish to cancel from the Hosting tab of your Customer Portal.
- Click Manage.
- On the next screen, you will see a list of management options for your WordPress. Check the domain in the lower-left corner to make sure you're cancelling the correct WordPress blog.
- To delete your blog, click the Delete WordPress Blog icon.
- A confirmation page will appear. Select the checkbox for Yes, I give permission to delete my installation and files.
- Click Delete Installation to confirm.
Domain Name Renewals
By default, your domain name is set to renew automatically. If you do not wish to renew your domain name, you can disable its auto-renewal through your Customer Portal's Domain section. Please refer to this article on how to enable/disable your domain's renewal feature.
Account Addons & Other Services
To cancel an account addon, please follow the appropriate article's instructions to complete the task in your Customer Portal.
HostGator India, Brazil, Turkey, etc.
HostGator.com only handles accounts that are purchased from HostGator.com. For cancellation, you would need to contact the company you signed up with. For example, if you signed up with HostGator India, you would need to contact HostGator India to cancel.
Frequently Asked Questions
What Happens After I Submit the Cancellation Request?
You will receive an email immediately confirming we have your request. If you do not get this email back within 1 hour, we did not receive your cancellation request, and you will be held responsible for any charges as a result.
Once you know we have your request, please allow us 72 hours to verify your identity and close your account. Your account will remain active until you receive our follow-up email confirming you were canceled successfully.
When Will My Cancellation Be Effective?
Unless you tell us otherwise, your account will be cancelled on the next renewal date, and you will continue to have access to your account until that time. For example, if your next renewal date is in 2 weeks, and you tell us you want to cancel, your account will stay open for those two weeks, then cancel on the renewal date. If you want the cancellation to be effective on any date other than the next renewal date, please let us know when we contact you to confirm your cancellation. We can cancel the account according to your instructions.
Want to Cancel your Customer Portal Account?
Cancelling your HostGator account will also cancel the Customer Portal. If your HostGator account is active, you must keep your Customer Portal account.