What is CodeGuard?
CodeGuard is a service that provides an automatic website backup solution for HostGator customers with Shared and Cloud hosting packages. CodeGuard monitors your site while keeping you informed of any changes.
CodeGuard offers frequent backups and restore options so that downtime can be avoided. CodeGuard's services include:
- Backups - CodeGuard makes an initial backup of your site and continues to make backups as changes occur.
- Monitoring - CodeGuard monitors your site daily for changes and sends a change alert email to notify you if there are any. CodeGuard also updates you on the progress of your backups.
- Restoration - You can revert to any previous version of your website with the click of a button.
CodeGuard is available for purchase through HostGator for Shared hosting plans. For VPS and Dedicated hosting plans, please partner with CodeGuard directly. Here is their front-of-site page:
Need help figuring out how to get started? Navigate to the How to order CodeGuard via Customer Portal ⤵ to sign up.
Still looking for more reasons to sign up? Jump to CodeGuard Pricing and Features to look at what you can get with CodeGuard.
Need to know more about the advantages of backing up your website with CodeGuard? Check out CodeGuard's Advantages for detailed information⤵.
How to order CodeGuard via the Customer Portal
If you wish to purchase the Basic, Professional, or Premium plans, you can order CodeGuard directly from your Customer Portal.
- Log in to your Customer Portal.
- Depending on the number of hosting packages in your account, please follow the steps below.
- If you have a single hosting package in your account, click Websites from the left-side menu.
- If you have multiple hosting packages in your account, please do the following:
- Click Hosting from the left-side menu.
- Locate the hosting package where your website is hosted, then click its Manage button.
- On the Hosting plan page, locate your website name and click its Settings button.
- On your website's management page, click the Backups tab.
- Click Install CodeGuard.
- A pop-up window will appear, showing you the available CodeGuard plans.
- Select your preferred CodeGuard plan, then put a checkmark In the checkbox if you agree to purchase CodeGuard using the payment method on file.
- Once done, click Buy Now. Make sure you have a payment method saved on file to proceed with the purchase.
CodeGuard Pricing and Features
|Sites per Account
|Up to 5
|Up to 10
|Up to 25
|Up to 100
|Number of Files
|Daily Automatic Backups
|Daily Site-Change Monitoring
Here is an overview of the main features of HostGator CodeGuard.
Daily automatic backups
CodeGuard will perform daily automatic website backups, ensuring that your valuable data is safe and can be restored during malicious attacks, coding changes, or other activities.
CodeGuard scans your website for any major changes that occur through continuous website monitoring. On detecting such changes, it will automatically initiate a backup and store all data on the cloud. This enables you to restore your entire website or important files quickly.
If CodeGuard detects unauthorized changes in your website's code, it will notify you via email. It will notify you when an issue arises via 'Website Change Protection.'
File change monitoring
CodeGuard uses an FTP/SFTP backup method based on an effective compression technology that helps reduce the backup file size considerably. As a result, you can better use the free cloud storage space available to you.
The following are the advantages of backing up your website with CodeGuard.
Prevent data loss
Data loss due to human error is not surprising. However, having a dedicated backup strategy in place is more important. CodeGuard HostGator backs up your website daily and stores all data in the cloud. You can restore your entire website or a single file with a click of a button.
Get protection against malware and hackers
Hackers may gain unauthorized access to your website to steal valuable data or damage it. The website may sometimes become infected with malware and viruses, compromising your business-critical data. In addition to effective SiteLock security, restoring a backup with CodeGuard may assist you in regaining control of your website.
Address compatibility issues after new updates or installations
To keep your website running smoothly, you should update it regularly or install different addons, such as plugins and themes. However, not all updates and plugins will always work well with your website; there is a chance that the functionality of your website will be affected. This could result in data loss. Before installing an update or activating an addon, make a backup of your website.
Back up your website to the cloud with CodeGuard, and your important data is protected from malicious attacks, theft, or coding errors.