How to Log into cPanel
cPanel will be the web hosting account management tool used to access your hosting account if you have a HostGator Shared Hosting, Reseller Hosting, VPS, and Linux Dedicated Servers.
Here at HostGator, we provide several options to access your cPanel. This way, you can figure out what works best for you. This article will address the steps on finding information in your Welcome email, using the Customer Portal (available with Shared and Cloud hosting) to launch cPanel, and how to directly access cPanel. Try them out and see what works best to access your cPanel.
We've put together this quick video on how to access the cPanel from your Customer Portal and also how to access it using the information from your Welcome Email. Then below we've more in-depth on these methods and more if you're looking for an alternative.
- Option 1 - Check Your Welcome Email
- Option 2 - Use the Customer Portal to Launch cPanel
- Option 3 - Use a Direct URL to Access cPanel
Option 1 - Welcome Email
When you initially sign up with HostGator, you will receive a Welcome email that contains pertinent information about your new hosting package. In the email, look for the following information:
- Your Control Panel
The Your Control Panel will provide you with a URL link to access your cPanel directly. Usually, this link ends with :2083. You will want to open that link in a new tab/window and bookmark the URL. This will be the direct URL to access your cPanel going forward. Then use the Username and Password provided in the email to log in to your cPanel. Take me there.
Option 2 - Customer Portal Access
The Customer Portal provides a single sign-on option to your own cPanel for Shared and Cloud hosting plans. Please use the steps below to access your cPanel through your Customer Portal.
- Log in to your Customer Portal.
- On the Dashboard, locate the Shared or Cloud hosting package for which you wish to access the cPanel.
- Click the Launch cPanel button within the section for that hosting package.
- A new tab will open logging you directly into your cPanel.
Option 3 - Direct cPanel Access
You can directly access your cPanel in a browser using any of the following ways; however, Direct Option 1 and Direct Option 2 are the most dependable as they rely on the server address instead of the domain. These two options do not require your domain to be pointed at the server.
Why does having your domain pointed to HostGator matter? Some people may have their domain hosted at another location. While they work to create a new website at HostGator, they will keep their domain pointed to their old site. Thus their domain will not be pointed to their new HostGator account initially, and Direct Option 3 will not work for them. Once they update their domain to point to HostGator, Direct Option 3 will work.
- Both your Server Hostname (Your Control Panel without the :2083) and your Site IP (Server IP) address are provided in your Welcome email.
- The Server Hostname for Shared hosting customers will look like gator1234.hostgator.com or secure1234.hostgator.com.
- The Server Hostname for Resellers will look like car-name.websitewelcome.com or secure1234.websitewelcome.com.
- We always recommend using a secure connection. By using HTTPS along with the port address 2083 to access cPanel, your connection will be encrypted.
Direct Option 1:
- Use https and your Server Hostname followed by a colon and the port address of 2083 (best method).
Direct Option 2:
- Use https and your server's Site IP address followed by a colon and the secure port number 2083:
- This will produce a browser warning. Please see the following article for instructions on how to bypass this:
Using the Direct Option 2 with the Site IP address will redirect you to the Server Hostname URL as shown in Direct Option 1.
You can still use the Direct Option 2 method without using the HTTPS; however, you need to use the port 2082.
Direct Option 3:
- Use https and your domain name followed by a colon and the secure port number 2083:
Are you trying to figure out where to add more Webmail users as an administrator or just need to access your HostGator Webmail? If you find yourself in these situations, review the articles below to guide you through accessing Webmail with your HostGator account.