How to Create a Staging Website with Softaculous
Once your website is live, you will get to a point where you want to update the design or functionality. Softaculous offers you the ability to create a duplicate of your existing website so that you can test out changes before you commit to making them to your live site.
Having this ability allows you to test whether your website is compatible with the latest version of WordPress or PHP. You can also test out new themes, plugins, or layouts so that when you are ready to update your live site, you already know how it will look and function.
- Log into your cPanel.
- Select Software from the left-hand menu.
- Click on the Softaculous icon.
- At the top of the page, you see options for your installed scripts. Click on the Installations box.
- Locate the domain that you want to stage and click the Create Staging icon.
- Across from Choose Installation URL, select the domain you want to use for your staging site or enter a directory name in the last box labeled In Directory.
- If you do not want your staging site to show up in search engine results, check the Disable Search Engine Visibility box.
- If you want your staging site to be an exact duplicate of your live site, leave the Site Name box blank and click the Create Staging button.
- A progress bar will appear while it creates the staging site.
- You will then be presented with a Congratulations message and links to the staging site and its admin dashboard.
- Click on the link next to the Administrative URL to begin editing your staging site.