How to Configure FileZilla
There are many different ways you can establish a connection using FileZilla. The video below will show various ways you can make a connection, or below the video are steps to connect the quickest method, using the 'Quickconnect' bar.
How to connect using FileZilla
The quickest and easiest way to establish a connection between a local machine (the computer you are connecting from) and a remote server (the computer/server you are connecting to) using FileZilla is by using the 'Quickconnect' bar.
- Enter the correct Host/Domain/IP address into the Host: field. This could be the server name, the server IP, domain name, and in some cases ftp.domain.com. For a HostGator account, example.com will be fine so long as it is properly pointed towards the server.
- Enter the correct FTP username into the Username: field. This can be the cPanel username which is also an FTP account.
- Enter the correct password for the user previously entered.
- Enter port 21 (or just leave it blank) for FTP and port 22 for SFTP.
- Click the Quickconnect button. In the window immediately below, results of the connection will be shown. A successful connection will end in "Directory listing successful."
- The port will automatically default to 21 if none is entered.
- The host must resolve to the server, so if the domain is still propagating you will need to use the server name or server IP to establish a connection.
- If connecting via an additional FTP account, make sure to use the full FTP username (ex: firstname.lastname@example.org).
- You can add and save multiple connections using the Site Manager found in File > Site Manager
- To connect via FTP using root, it must be a secure connection. Changing the port to 22 will automatically set the host to https:// making it a secure connection. If there is no secure connection available, the connection will fail. Only VPS/Dedicated plans have access to root.
Filezilla Article Series
- How to Obtain & Install FileZilla
- How to Configure FileZilla
- How to Manage Files in FileZilla
- How to Transfer Files in FileZilla