How to Manage Files with Filezilla
Once connected to a server via FileZilla, it is important to understand the ways in which one can manage files within this environment.
The following video is a guide through the different tasks one can perform within FileZilla with additional descriptions below:
Navigating the files
It is important to become familiarized with the layout of FileZilla
- There are two columns for managing files.
- The left column is the folder tree and file listings for the local machine (the pc currently running filezille), and the right column is the folder tree and file listings for the remote server (the computer/server being remotely connected to).
- Files can be opened by expanding them with the arrows in the folder tree, highlighting a folder to see the contents in the lower file listings section, or right clicking on the folder and selecting open (only for local site).
Renaming a file or folder
To rename a file or folder:
- Right click on the item.
- Select 'Rename' from the drop down menu.
- Edit the name of the file or folder.
Adding a folder
To add a folder:
- Right click on the destination folder which you want the new folder to exist
- Select 'Create Directory' from the drop down menu.
- A pop up will appear with the full path to the directory.
- Rename 'New Directory' with the desired folder name.
Note: The destination of the folder can also be changed by editing the path of the folder.
Moving files and folders
To move any file or folder:
- Left click on the item then drag it into the appropriate location.
- A file or folder can be moved from any section to any other or the same.
- If moving files from the local section to the remote section, it will copy the files rather than move them. This will be covered in greater detail in the next section, Transfer Files.
- Several items may be moved/transfered by highlighting them and then clicking and dragging the highlighted selections to the appropriate location.
Filezilla Article Series
- How to Obtain & Install FileZilla
- How to Configure & Connect with FileZilla
- How to Manage Files in FileZilla
- How to Transfer Files in FileZilla