What Are Some of the Things I Get With a VPS?
If you're moving from a Shared or Reseller environment, there are numerous benefits you can expect from a VPS. Some of the features include cPanel, root WHM, KVM, and a root shell.
Before making the switch, it's important to understand that there are three types of VPS:
A fully managed VPS means that cPanel is purchased together with the VPS. Fully managed support means that we will handle just about any issue or configuration request you may have with your server outside of custom software/script installations (ex: ffmpeg+mplayer+mencoder). Some examples of things covered by our fully managed support may include but are not limited to:
- Security audits
- Firewall setup & troubleshooting
- Load problems or sluggishness
- Network related issues
- Failure of the server to boot
- Hardware failures
- E-mail configuration
- Package installations via a package manager (yum, rpm)
- DNS configuration
- Troubleshooting script configurations and website errors
- Task automation
- Software upgrades & migrations (PHP, MySQL)
- Seamless kernel upgrades utilizing KSplice Uptrack
- Custom Apache configurations (mod_python, mod_ruby, mod_wsgi)
- Perl/PECL module/extension installations
- Backup configurations
- Google Workspace setup
- And much more!
To learn more about our fully managed VPS hosting plans, please review the following article: What Does Fully Managed Mean?
Semi-managed VPS plans are purchased without a control panel and do not come with all of the pre-installed perks of the fully managed VPS; however, you can install the software you require through SSH using the Yum Package Manager.
If you intend to use your VPS as a web server, some recommended installations include:
Some installations listed above may not be in the Yum repository. In this case, you may need to build your own repository or install it through the source or from the software's respective installation script.
To learn more about our semi-managed VPS hosting plans, please review the following article: What Does Semi-Managed Mean?
Unmanaged (VZ Only)
An unmanaged VPS is a semi-managed VPS with Virtuozzo only. Snappy 500 is the only unmanaged VPS plan and is only offered with Virtuozzo.
The following software is included on an unmanaged VPS account.
- Virtuozzo 4.7
- Apache 2.2.3 - must be installed.
- Perl 5.8.8 - must be installed.
- Python 2.4.3 - must be installed.
- Sendmail 8.13.8 - must be installed.
- MySQL - must be installed.
- PHP - must be installed.
- Exim - must be installed.
- FTP - must be installed.
Additional software not mentioned here is not pre-installed on semi-managed VPS accounts and MUST be installed separately.
To learn more about our unmanaged VPS hosting plan, please review the following article: What Do I Get with an Unmanaged VPS (VZ Only)?
- root CLI
- Yum Package Manager
- C, C++, GCC, C compiler
To view a more extensive list of software available with a VPS package, please read: