Pre-installed WordPress Plugins Guide
With the recent updates in cPanel, Softaculous is now available for you to install WordPress, which is one of the most popular blogging platforms used by newbies and professional developers. It comes with pre-installed plugins, allowing you to begin customizing your website the way you want it.
- To install WordPress using Softaculous, please visit this article for the detailed instructions: How to Install WordPress With Softaculous
With a WordPress install, there are some plugins that are already available in the WordPress dashboard by default. You can choose to retain or remove these plugins. However, it is best practice to only keep the plugins that are actually needed for your website. Take time to look over these pre-installed plugins to see if they will benefit your site.
Here is a list of the description and features of the pre-installed plugins you may see in your fresh WordPress install. You can click each plugin to see its description and features.
- Akismet Anti-Spam
- Hello Dolly
- Jetpack by WordPress.com
- MOJO Marketplace
- OptinMonster API
- PopularFX Website Templates
- WPForms Lite
For instructions on how to uninstall a plugin, please refer to this documentation for instructions: How to Install/Uninstall WordPress Plugins
Used by millions, Akismet is quite possibly the best way in the world to protect your blog from spam. It keeps your site protected even while you sleep. To get started: activate the Akismet plugin and then go to your Akismet Settings page to set up your API key.
- It has the automatic feature of checking all comments and filters out those that look like spam, putting them away in the Spam section.
- It gives visibility to see the number of approved comments per user.
- It has the feature that outright blocks the worst spam saving you disk space and speeding up your website.
- Some legitimate comments were flagged as spams.
- Once Akismet marks a user as a spammer, all comments from that user will be blocked.
This is not just a plugin. It symbolizes the hope and enthusiasm of an entire generation summed up in two words sung most famously by Louis Armstrong: Hello, Dolly. When activated, you will randomly see a lyric from Hello, Dolly in the upper right of your admin screen on every page.
None really, but you can have some amazing Hello Dolly quotes in your WordPress dashboard!
Jetpack by WordPress.com
Bring the power of the WordPress.com cloud to your self-hosted WordPress. Jetpack enables you to connect your blog to a WordPress.com account to use the powerful features normally only available to WordPress.com users.
- Allows theme installation and management. The mobile theme allows users to be presented with a mobile theme instead of the regular theme.
- Security using SSO.
- Social sharing by adding buttons to posts allowing visitors to shared content.
- Contact forms for posts and pages.
- Generating XML SItemaps which is useful for search engine indexing.
- Publishing by email where users can publish posts by sending an email.
- Spam filtering and site optimization.
- Make Payments by adding payment buttons on the customer's site.
- Brute force attack protection where the user is safe from spam, suspicious sign-in attempts, and online attacks.
- Extra sidebar widgets and customization which allows the users to add custom sidebar widgets like social icons, RSS, Twitter embeds, upcoming events, etc.
- Marketing automation by publishing to social media.
- Uptime monitoring where customers can get an email when the site is down.
- Custom CSS which allows users to add CSS codes without messing with the theme, and this stays intact even after updates.
For Premium users:
- Earn revenue by displaying advertisements on the site.
- It has VaultPress, which automatically creates backups and does security scanning.
- Allows users to upload videos to the website, which is hosted in WordPress.com, lessening the load from your server.
- Expensive when purchasing its advanced features.
This plugin adds shortcodes, widgets, and themes to your WordPress site.
- It comes with different WordPress themes for specific uses.
- It offers templates allowing users to design and publish websites without any coding, plugins, and extension for various applications, and graphics, and logos to get the site with that professional-looking quality, thus saving costs in updating and managing websites without a web developer.
- It is resource-extensive.
- Its premium features are expensive.
- There are bug reports that this plugin blocks comments from users.
OptinMonster is the best WordPress popup plugin that helps you grow your email list and sales with email popups, exit-intent popups, floating bars, and more!
- The builder’s drop and drag interface is very user- and mobile-friendly.
- It has non-interruptive pop-ups that improve conversion rates and do not interfere with site visitor's activities.
- It gives plenty of customization options to create any kind of pop-ups. It allows users to set exactly when and where this pop-up will show up.
- OptinMonster also has customized templates for ease of use.
- There are no restrictions on the number of pop-ups users can create.
- Animation is an additional feature that users can use to customize their pop-ups.
- It integrates with today's most popular digital marketing tools.
- Some of OptinMonster best features are available at a high price.
- Since the plugin is commonly used, it's highly likely that site visitors are already accustomed to seeing the same pop-ups templates from other sites too.
- It has no internal analytics.
PageLayer is a WordPress page builder plugin. It is very easy to use and very light on the browser.
- Provides a variety of customizable features as a drag & drop editor.
- It has a large number of widgets and styling options you can use for design.
- Allows users to see their changes in real-time.
- It has typography features allowing users to beautify their page content by changing font style, weight, and size, and also allows adding of Google fonts.
- It has animation effects that are triggered when the element is in the display area.
- Plugin users must update the plugin to the latest version of 1.1.4 to take advantage of the recently developed security patch that prevents critical security issues.
PopularFX Website Templates
PopularFX is a lightweight theme with 500+ templates to make beautiful websites with PageLayer. PopularFX can be used for a blogging site, WooCommerce Store, Business website, personal portfolio, etc.
- PopularFX theme comes with a drag-and-drop builder with powerful design options and tools.
- Offers a variety of different and powerful themes for any kind of website.
- Limited ability to customize the template.
Beginner-friendly WordPress contact form plugin.
- Securely collect payments securely with Stripe, PayPal, and Authorize.Net to get more income streams from your website.
- It provides a form that can build marketing campaigns by sending form entries to services like Mailchimp and Drip.
- Provides forms for customer surveys and polls and generates reports for these surveys.
- It allows users to create unlimited forms without coding and receive responses by email.
- Advanced features available in premium plans are a bit pricey.
- WPForms do not sell individual extensions like Ninja Forms or Caldera Forms.