If you have expertise in the web hosting world, you already know you can make money by building and hosting websites for other new website owners.
The best part is you don’t have to build a web hosting company. You can simply sign up for a VPS, dedicated, or reseller web hosting account, and let your web host’s massive servers do all the heavy lifting.
How is this possible?
When you sign up for VPS or dedicated web hosting, you get unlimited domains for you and your clients. Not to mention, you can package your clients’ plans however you want and customize cPanel access to your liking.
This article will walk all you website pros through the following:
At the end of the article, you’ll be ready to create custom cPanel accounts for your hosting clients in WHM (Web Host Manager).
Let’s dig in.
1. How to create a package in WHM
The first step in creating a cPanel account for your clients is to create a package in WHM. As a quick review, when you create a package, you define preset specs that give a user or domain access to various features.
For example, HostGator offers shared hosting to all customers. But, not all customers need the same access and features as each other. So, we offer three different shared hosting packages, Hatchling, Baby, and Business.
You can do the same thing with your clients. Here’s how (instructions below are for HostGator users on a VPS, dedicated, or reseller plan).
- Log in to your WHM account by going to example.com:2087. (If your domain is not pointed to the server, you can also access your WHM account via servername:2087 or ip.add.re.ss:2087)
- Find the left search field and type in “Add a Package,” or scroll down on the left side menu until you see “Add a Package,” and select it.
- Type in your Package Name.
- Flesh out the Resources section, customizing it to your package plan. Suggested amounts for a basic WordPress site are:
- Disk Quota: 1000 – 5000Monthly Bandwidth: 5000 – 10000
- Max FTP Accounts – Unlimited
- Max Email Accounts – Unlimited
- Max Email Lists – Unlimited
- Max Databases – Unlimited
- Max Sub Domains – Unlimited
- Max Parked Domains – 1
- Max Addon Domains – 1
- Next, you can customize your Settings.
- Once you’ve filled out all the Resources and Settings sections, click the “Add” button at the bottom of the page.
- Next, return to the WHM page by clicking the logo in the top left corner.
- Type in Upgrade/Downgrade an Account to access the next portion.
- Choose your domain name and click the Modify button.
- Select the name of your new plan and click the Upgrade/Downgrade button.
That’s all you have to do to create a package.
If you’re a reseller, it’s smart to create more than one package. This gives your clients additional choices, so they can find the hosting plan that works best for them.
2. How to create a cPanel account in WHM
Now that you’ve created your packages, it’s time to get into the exciting stuff—creating your cPanel accounts.
Here are the steps to get started:
- Login to your WHM account.
- Look at the center of the dashboard and click on “Create a New account.”
- Alternatively, you can use the search bar on the top left side of the screen, type in “create” and select “Create a New Account” from the drop-down menu.
- Next, WHM will ask you for domain information, including:
- Domain name
- Password confirmation
- Admin email
- Next, pick a package for this particular cPanel.
- Fill out your Settings.
- Pick your Mail Routing settings.
- Indicate whether or not you want this to be a Reseller account.
- Finally, select your DNS settings.
- Once you’re done customizing your settings, click “Create.”
If you scroll down slightly, you’ll notice a section that includes New Account Information. Copy and paste all of this information and send it to your client.
If you want to check out all of your cPanel accounts, you can return to the top left search menu and type in “list.”
When you click on “List Accounts,” you’ll see all of the cPanels you have in your WHM, making it easy to quickly access information you need to send your clients.
3. How to choose cPanel themes for your clients in WHM
As you were creating your first cPanel account, you probably noticed one of the options was to choose a cPanel theme.
You can always select the default theme if you want. But you can also customize the theme for your clients.
- Login to WHM.
- Search for “cPanel” in the search bar on the top left side of the page.
- Once the cPanel category appears, click on “Customization.”
- From here, you’ll see the “Customization” section populate in the main area of the dashboard.
- You’ll also see a few different tabs. Click on the tab that says, “Customize Style.”
- Once you’re here, you can choose between the different themes, including Basic, Dark, Light, and Retro.
- Click the “Set as Default” link to pick your preferred theme.
- Once you’ve selected your theme, you’ll see a green confirmation prompt.
If you want to get fancy, you can also edit a theme manually. Simply download your preferred style, edit the theme, and re-upload it.
Create your first cPanel account in HostGator’s WHM
There you have it! If you’re ready to start managing websites for multiple clients, the time is now. Sign up for a PRO hosting plan with HostGator and get to work creating your client packages and cPanel accounts.
If you have any questions that this article doesn’t answer, you can always reach out to our customer service team for guidance. We are here around the clock and happy to help!