Local, Backup, and Remote Mail Exchanger
This is a setting that tells HostGator how to handle your incoming emails. We recommend using Automatically Detect Configuration. However, we sometimes need to change this setting in order to make all emails arrive.
You may find some links below that will redirect you to your cPanel and its features provided that the following conditions are met:
- You are logged into your Customer Portal. You can also log in after clicking the link.
- The hosting package you are attempting to access is either a Shared or Cloud.
- Go to cPanel and click the MX Entry icon.
- Select your domain name from the drop-down menu.
- Set the correct email route.
- Local Mail Exchanger - Use this if you wish to point your emails to your HostGator server.
- Backup Mail Exchanger
- Shared and Reseller: This setting is not compatible with our shared servers; use Automatically Detect Configuration instead.
- VPS and Dedicated: The use of a Backup Mail Exchanger with a VPS or Dedicated Server requires the cPanel to be specifically configured to function which may allow spam to bypass filters* and that only includes limited support**.
- Remote Mail Exchanger - Use this if you wish to point your emails to a different email service or server.
- Click the Change button and test your email.
- * Use of a Backup MX Exchanger without significant exim reconfiguration or an external filtering service may allow it to be used as an unfiltered and whitelisted relay to deliver spam to your primary server.
- ** We will set up a relay to use an external mail filtering service or Backup MX service and will provide a quote for the installation of plugins for cPanel. However, we do not support any relay whitelisting, secondary MX setups after configuration, or custom Exim configurations.
Please contact us via phone or Live Chat if you have any questions or require assistance.