How to Manually Install WHMCS
Step 1: Obtain a WHMCS License
To install WHMCS, you must first obtain a WHMCS License. HostGator Reseller and Linux Dedicated Server plans include a FREE WHMCS license which can be obtained here.
VPS customers can obtain a WHMCS license from HostGator for $5 per month. The license can be requested by contacting us via phone or chat.
Step 2: Download WHMCS
Once you've requested your license from WHMCS, you may download the program by logging into your WHMCS client area at www.whmcs.com/members and following these steps:
- Click on the My Licenses & Services link.
- Select one of your active license keys to view its details.
- Choose the latest stable version to download from the downloads listed at the bottom of the page.
Step 3: Install WHMCS
The following instructions will guide you through manually installing WHMCS.
Step 1: Create The Database
You will need to log in to your cPanel and create a database and database user in MySQL Database. Please refer to this article for more information.
Step 2: Manual Setup
- After downloading the WHMCS installation files, you will need to unzip them to be uploaded to the server.
- Once you have unzipped WHMCS, it will then need to be uploaded. This can be done via FTP or through your cPanel File Manager interface.
- You will need to rename the file configuration.php.new to configuration.php
- Next, you can rename the folder whatever you like (billing, clients, etc.)
Step 3: Run the Installation Script
- Visit the installation script at http://www.example.com/whmcs/install/install.php to run the installation process (Replace example.com with your actual domain name, and replace "whmcs" with the directory you placed WHMCS in).
- After reading the WHMCS End User License Agreement, click I Agree to continue.
- The initial setup will perform some checks to ensure you meet the system requirements and permission requirements.
- Click Continue if everything checks out.
- Enter the License Key you received from WHMCS and the database you previously created, then click Continue.
- Enter the details in the form for the administrator account so that you can access and set up your WHMCS installation.
- Once done, click Complete Setup.
Step 4: Finishing Up Installation
You can complete the installation process by performing the following:
- In the installation path, delete the install directory.
- (Optional) For additional security, you can move the attachments, downloads, and templates_c directories outside of any publicly accessible directories.
- You can follow the walkthrough provided by WHMCS to move the directories.
- Setup your cron to ensure WHMCS is performing its required scheduled tasks once a day.
- This can be done through cPanel's cron job feature or through the command line using the example below. (Be sure to replace username with your actual cPanel username.)
0 0 * * * php -q /home/username/public_html/whmcstest/admin/cron.php