What is a Subdomain Name & How to Create One
It is not always necessary to register a new domain name when the one you already own will work perfectly fine. Rather than registering a new domain name, you can always create a subdomain using a domain you already own.
A subdomain is a second website with its unique content, but there is no new domain name. Instead, you use an existing domain name and change the www to another name. The subdomain name looks like forums.domain.com, help.domain.com, help2.domain.com (assuming you already host domain.com). Below are the steps in creating a subdomain within cPanel.
- You are logged into your Customer Portal. You can also log in after clicking the link.
- The hosting package you are attempting to access is either Shared or Cloud.
To create a subdomain, please do the following:
- Log in to cPanel
- Locate the Domains section then, click Subdomains.
- In the subdomain field, enter the subdomain name you want. In this example, we used "blog" as the subdomain.
- In the drop-down, select the domain where you wish to create the subdomain.
- The field for Document Root will auto-fill after filling out the Subdomain field.
- Hit the Create button.
To delete a subdomain, please do the following:
- In the Subdomains section, locate the subdomain you wish to delete.
- Under Actions, click Remove.