How to Create a URL Redirect
The Redirects tool in cPanel will allow you to redirect your website's visitors from a source URL to a target URL. Remember that redirects only update an .htaccess file. So, as long as the domain has been added to the cPanel account, it should be available in the list on this page.
How to Set Up a Redirect
- You are logged into your Customer Portal. You can also log in after clicking the link.
- The hosting package you are attempting to access is either a Shared or Cloud.
- Log into cPanel.
- Under the Domains section, click the Redirects icon.
- From the Type drop-down menu, select your preferred type of redirect.
- Permanent 301 is a redirect that will update the visitor's bookmarks and direct search engines to the new site.
- Temporary 302 is a redirect that will redirect the visitor or search engine but will not update the bookmark, and search engines will continue to index to the original page.
- From the https?://(www.)? drop-down menu, choose the domain name you would like to redirect.
- If you would like to redirect a single page or directory, you can use the text field that begins with the forward-slash (/) to enter the name of the folder or file.
- In the Redirects to field, enter the full URL of the page to which you will be redirecting.
Note: You must enter the protocol (e.g. https://, http:// or ftp://) as well in order for the domain URL to be accepted.
- Select one of the following www. redirection options to dictate whether or not the domain will be redirecting:
- Only redirect with www. will only redirect visitors that type www. as part of the URL.
- Redirect with or without www. will redirect all visitors regardless if they use www. or not.
- Do Not Redirect www. will not redirect visitors that use www. as part of the URL.
- Clicking the Wild Card Redirect option allows users to set up a redirect to the same file on a new destination.
- With Wild Card Redirect, www.example.com/about.html will redirect to www.example-destination.com/about.html
- Without Wild Card Redirect, www.example.com/about.html will redirect to www.example-destination.com
- Click Add to create the redirect as specified.
Now, when visitors type the exact URL that you specified, they will be redirected to the target site you assigned.