Signing Up for Microsoft 365
As we currently are no longer offering new signups for Microsoft 365, this article will only address items for those who have previously purchased this product. This article discusses the following topics:
Setting up Microsoft 365 DNS records
For Microsoft 365 to work, the domain where you want to activate Microsoft 365 must be connected to HostGator. If your domain is already using your HostGator name servers and you sign up for Microsoft 365, your email DNS records (MX records) will be automatically configured.
To connect your domain to HostGator, please check these articles for the instructions.
- What Are My Name Servers? - This article will help you identify your name servers and where to find them.
- How Do I Change My DNS or Name Servers? - Once you have your name server details, you need to update the domain's name servers.
If your domain is not pointing to HostGator's name servers, you will need to configure your DNS settings in your hosting provider's (or registrar's) control panel. Here is Microsoft's documentation about locating and setting up your DNS records so you can use their email service.
Assigning user licenses
For you to activate your Microsoft 365 account and actually use its emails and other features, you need to complete the steps in assigning a user to its first license. If you skip this step, Microsoft will keep sending you notifications prompting you to complete this process.
Once an email address has been created, you can Assign Licenses. You will see all unassigned licenses within the Microsoft management dashboard. By clicking Assign Licenses, you will be prompted with a modal that provides:
- A list view of all available licenses.
- A subscription associated with each of the available licenses.
- An option to purchase additional licenses at a new subscription level.
Here are helpful articles to guide you in exploring Microsoft 365.
- How to Verify a Domain for Use with Microsoft 365
- Logging into Microsoft 365
- Microsoft 365: Initial Login and Password Reset
- Microsoft 365: Multi-Factor Authentication
- Microsoft 365: Renewal Rates
- (Microsoft documentation) Add DNS records to connect your domain