What Do I Need to Know When Purchasing My Own SSL?
The following details are important to keep in mind when preparing to purchase an SSL certificate:
- HostGator sells SSL certificates, and installation and support are included. You will find more information on our most popular SSL offerings here:
- Our cPanel servers are compatible with WHM/cPanel certificates (alternatively, you can use Apache+ModSSL certificates or Apache+OpenSSL certificates.)
- HostGator Reseller, VPS or Dedicated Servers clients with WHM access may choose to install their own SSL certificates. Instructions on how to do this can be found here:
Note: We will install SSLs free of charge on all managed Dedicated Servers.
- If you shared package with HostGator, you will be able to install your own SSL certificates via cPanel. For more information please refer to the third-party SSL certificate article below:
- VPS and Dedicated Server clients can allocate one of the IP addresses which come with their plan or purchase a new one. A dedicated IP costs $4 per month (or $48 per year.) More information on dedicated IP addresses can be found here:
- Shared plans (Hatchling, Baby, and Business) can only support one IP address. If you need more than one IP address, you will need to purchase a second plan or upgrade to a Reseller plan. (Reseller, VPS, and Dedicated plans support multiple IPs.)
- We offer a free positive SSL certificate with the purchase of any Business or Windows Enterprise plan.
Fees for Installing Third-Party SSL Certificates
If you purchased your SSL certificate from HostGator, we will gladly install that SSL certificate free of charge. Installation of a third-party SSL certificate by HostGator administrators depends on the certificate type:
- For a single domain SSL the fee is $10
- For a multi-domain SSL the fee is $25 for up to 5 domains plus $5 for each additional domain beyond the first 5.
We will install SSLs free of charge on all managed Dedicated Servers.
Renewing an SSL requires an installation of the new certificate and is subject to the installation fees above. For fewer installations, you may purchase a certificate that covers a 2 or 3 year term.
Installation Process for a Third-Party SSL Certificate
- Fill out the CSR form to receive a CSR and RSA key.
- Purchase your SSL certificate (if you haven't already) and send the certificate issuer the CSR (Not the RSA Key) from step 1.
- The certificate issuer will provide an SSL Certificate as well as an SSL CA Certificate (Trusted Authority) (sometimes called a "CA Bundle").
Note: These may be provided as .crt files. If the text for the certificate or bundle are needed, these files may be opened in notepad.
- Log into your Customer Portal.
- Navigate to the Hosting tab.
- Select the desired hosting package, then click Manage.
- Look for SSL icon and hit Manage.
- On the next page, scroll to the following section and click the Install button:
- Provide the SSL certificate, RSA key, and CA bundle in the next page:
Note: If you do not receive a Success! message for each field, attempt copying the entire certificate including the "-----BEGIN CERTIFICATE-----" and "-----END CERTIFICATE-----" lines.Note: These may be provided as .crt files. To copy their text, you can open them in a text editor (such as notepad).
- Click the Next button to provide payment information and complete the installation.
Once these steps have been completed, we will install your SSL certificate. For a more detailed description of the installation process for third-party SSL certificates, please read: