How to Manage Files with Dreamweaver
Here is a video to guide you in managing your files in Dreamweaver. Please note that the video's instructions may look slightly different depending on Dreamweaver's current version or interface; however, the functionality described should be similar.
Add Files or Folders
To manage files in Dreamweaver using the Files panel:
- Select the file that you would like to manage.
- Right-click on the file to add new files or folders. If you click a file, Dreamweaver creates a new folder in the same folder as that file.
If you click a folder, you get a new folder inside the existing one.
Create a New File
To create a new file:
- Select a folder and right-click.
- Select New File.
- Name the file.
The new file will be automatically placed under the selected folder.
Create a New Folder
To create a new folder:
- Right-click on the domain's document root or the primary folder you wish for the folder to be in.
- Select New Folder.
Delete a File
To delete a file:
- In the Files panel, right-click on the file or folder you wish to delete.
- Select Edit > Delete.
Copy a File
To duplicate a file:
- In the Files panel, right-click on the file.
- Select Edit > Duplicate.
Rename a File
To rename a file:
- In the Files panel, select the file or folder you wish to rename.
- Select Edit > Rename. Alternatively, you can click on the filename, pause, then click it again.
- Type in the new name, then hit Enter.
Move a File
To move a file:
- In the Files panel, select the file or folder you wish to move.
- Drag and drop the file to the new destination or copy and paste it to the new location.
- Do a refresh on the Files panel to see if the file or folder is in its new location.
To synchronize files between your local machine and your remote FTP server:
- Click on the Synchronize button.
- Select whether you'd like to sync the entire domain's files or only select files in addition to how you would like to synchronize the files by placing new files on the remote server, pulling new files from the remote server, or both.
- Click Preview. The system will list the files to be transferred.
- Click OK.
Note: The synchronization process will begin immediately and take a few moments to complete. Once completed, you will see the change in the files immediately.
Refresh the Files panel
To refresh the view in the Files panel, do only one of the following:
- Right-click any file or folder, then select Refresh.
- Click the Refresh button in the Files panel toolbar (For Dreamweaver sites only).
Note: Dreamweaver refreshes your Files panel when you make changes in another application.
Dreamweaver is a popular program for creating websites and applications from Adobe. It supports HTML5, CSS3, PHP, FTP, jQuery, and more, and works with HostGator web hosting.
You can learn more about Dreamweaver by visiting Adobe's website or the Dreamweaver Tutorials learning portal.