How to Transfer Files Using Dreamweaver
You can transfer files between your local machine and remote server using the Files panel.
How to Download Files From the Remote Server using Dreamweaver
To get files from your remote server:
- In the Files panel, select the files you wish to download. You may want to change from Local View to Remote Server to view these files.
Note: If the Remote view is active, then Dreamweaver copies the selected files to the local site; if the Local view is active, Dreamweaver copies the remote versions of the selected local files to the local site.
- To download the file, click the Get button from the Files panel.
- Click Yes on the pop-up when asked if dependent files should be included in the transfer.
- Select Local View. Files transferred should be reflected. Double-clicking the file will open the file up for editing.
Move Multiple Files
To move multiple files:
- Select multiple files by holding the Ctrl key as you click on each file.
- Files can be downloaded by clicking the Get button.
- Click No on the pop-up when asked if dependent files should be included in the transfer.
Transferred files will be displayed when moving over from Remote Server to Local View.
How to Upload Files To the Remote Server using Dreamweaver
To put files on your remote server:
- In the Files panel, select the files you wish to upload. You may want to switch views for this.
- Once the files are selected, click the Put button from the Files panel.
- A dialog box will appear. Click Yes on the pop-up when asked if dependent files should be included in the transfer.
How to Synchronize the Entire Domain Files
To sync entire domain files:
- In the Files panel, select the site you wish to sync. You may also choose to select specific files or folders if you want.
- Click the Synchronize button at the top of the Files panel.
- In the menu, you may choose any of the following:
- To sync the whole site, select Entire your-site-name Site.
- To sync selected files only, choose Selected Local Files Only or Selected Remote Files Only, depending on where you made the most recent selection.
- Choose your preferred direction in which you wish to copy the files – Put Newer Files to Remote, Get Newer Files from Remote, or Get and Put Newer Files.
- Click Preview to view the files that will be placed on the server.
- Verify the action to be performed on each of the selected files.
- Click OK to proceed.
The files will then be synchronized between your local machine and server.
Dreamweaver is a popular Adobe program for creating websites and applications. It supports HTML5, CSS3, PHP, FTP, jQuery, and more, and it works with HostGator web hosting.
You can learn more about Dreamweaver by visiting Adobe's website or the Dreamweaver Tutorials learning portal.