Easily Add a Contact Form to Your WordPress Site
Looking for an easy way to create contact forms? WordPress doesn’t allow you to create contact forms natively, and if you’re not a developer, creating a contact form on your website can be a tedious task.
The beauty of WordPress is that there are tons of different plugins that let you easily create contact forms on your site. But it’s easy to get overwhelmed with all those different choices.
What are the pros and cons of each, and which one is best for your website? Let’s take a head-to-head comparison between the most popular contact form plugins for WordPress.
WPForms is the most beginner friendly contact form plugin that comes with a drag and drop form builder to create beautiful WordPress forms.
With WPForms, you can quickly build forms in just a few clicks with pre-built form templates. Contact forms, subscription forms, order forms, and more templates are available so you don’t have to build common forms from scratch.
There are also plenty of more advanced features, including conditional logic, multi-page forms, geolocation, form abandonment lead capture, and more. You can also integrate WPForms with your email newsletter service to easily build your list.
- 100% responsive forms: Your WordPress forms will always look great on any size device.
- Optimized for speed: WPForms is highly optimized for web and server performance. It doesn’t negatively impact the page speed of your site.
- The easiest plugin: Several pre-built templates are bundled with WPForms, so you don’t always have to create a form from scratch. Just pick a template and edit it as necessary.
- Free version is limited: The free version of WPForms comes with all the basic features most users need to build a contact form. For more advanced features such as order forms, digital signatures, and more, you’ll need to invest in the premium version. With the premium version, you’ll be able to integrate with third-party services like OptinMonster.
Price: A free version is available in the WordPress repository. For advanced features, you can get a license starting at $39.
Who Should Use WPForms?
WPForms is the best solution if you’re looking for the easiest way to build a form. Without any assistance, even a beginner WordPress user can create a WordPress form with WPForms.
Developers looking for an easy contact form plugin to set up for their clients to edit forms themselves will also find WPForms to be the best option.
If you’re looking for advanced features such as digital signatures or form abandonment lead capture, WPForms is also a very affordable option.
2. Jetpack Forms
Are you already using the Jetpack plugin on your site? Jetpack is a multipurpose plugin by Automattic, the parent company of WordPress.com, that offers different modules to enhance WordPress features like WordPress stats, mobile themes, related posts, and more.
Jetpack Forms is one of the most popular features offered by Jetpack.
If you’ve already installed Jetpack on your site, you can create simple contact forms by activating the contact form module.
- Customizable contact forms: Jetpack’s form builder allows you to make simple customizations like adding basic form fields. It also offers an option to change the subject line of the email sent to you whenever someone submits your form.
- Limited options and features: The main downside is you can’t create complex forms with Jetpack Forms such as order forms, newsletter forms, post submission forms, and more.
- Bundled in a large plugin: Jetpack is a large plugin that includes separate modules for various features like basic site stats, related posts, and more. If you just need contact forms, there’s no need for such a large plugin on your site.
Who Should Use Jetpack Forms?
Jetpack Forms is most suitable for those who are already using other Jetpack modules on their site, and only need to create very basic forms without much customization. Otherwise, it’s not necessary to install such a large plugin to create simple contact forms.
3. Gravity Forms
Gravity Forms is the most feature-rich contact form plugin in the market. It lets you quickly integrate your form with tons of different third-party online services through addons. With Gravity Forms, you can build powerful and complex forms with ease.
The plugin is also developer friendly, so you can extend its functionality per your requirements.
- Tons of addons: Gravity Forms allows you to install from a huge list of optional addons that let you integrate your form with a variety of third-party services.
- Enhanced features: The plugin is constantly being improved with more advanced features. With Gravity Forms, the possibilities for creating a powerful form are endless.
- Developer friendly: If you’re a developer who needs to customize your form to any extent for clients, Gravity Forms might be the right solution.
Gravity Forms is a premium plugin. If you don’t have a budget to purchase a premium contact form plugin, Gravity Forms is not for you. The personal plan doesn’t come with any addons, and it allows you to use the plugin only for a single site.
Price: Starting at $39
Who Should Use Gravity Forms?
Gravity Forms is not for everyone, especially for those who are on a limited budget. The plugin is a good fit if you need to create highly complex contact forms or want a developer friendly form that lets you customize your forms per your needs.
4. Visual Form Builder
Visual Form Builder is yet another easy to use contact form plugin.
The plugin is fully responsive. Both the admin and front-end interfaces adjust to any screen, so you can create contact forms on the go.
The plugin is available for free to download from WordPress.org directory. There’s also a premium version available with addons for features such as payment processing.
- Basic spam protection: The premium version gives you an extra layer of spam protection with Akismet.
- Each addon sold separately: If you need access to a lot of addons to enable more features, the pricing can quickly get more expensive than other form plugins.
Price: $29. Addons can be purchased separately.
Who Should Use Visual Form Builder?
If you’re looking for a cheap basic plugin with some cool features for your website, you might want to consider Visual Form Builder.
5. Formidable Forms
Formidable Forms comes with a simple drag and drop interface and visual styler. The plugin allows you to build forms in just a few minutes. It also allows you to choose from 30 different field types, so you can build any type of form.
You can download the basic plugin for free from WordPress.org plugins directory. To access more advanced features like user registration, payment processing, and email marketing integrations, you can find several addons that can be installed along with the pro version.
- Style customizations: Its visual styler lets you change the look and feel of your form. You can change field colors and sizes, add backgrounds and borders, and more.
- Extendable with addons: Formidable Forms helps you integrate your form with several payment systems and online services.
- Supports charity: A portion of every Formidable Forms fee is donated to the Operation Smile charity.
- Expensive: No addons are available with the basic license plan. Compared against other plugins, the basic plan is more expensive.
Price: Starting at $49.
Who Should Use Formidable Forms?
Formidable Forms is best suited for those who want to customize the look of their forms, but it can be pricey compared to other plugins.
6. Contact Form 7
With 3+ million active installs, Contact Form 7 is the most popular contact form plugin in the official WordPress plugin directory. You can also find a limited number of addons for Contact Form 7.
It is the only plugin featured in this article that doesn’t come with a drag and drop form builder. There is a learning curve if you’re using the plugin for the first time. However, the plugin provides you with a demo form that you can see inside your WordPress dashboard, so you can look at it to learn how to create a form.
- Free: The plugin is 100% free of cost.
- Established: As the plugin has been around for many years, many WordPress themes support and recommend Contact Form 7, and there are many third party addons available.
- Coding skills required: The plugin expects you to have a basic understanding of HTML to create a contact form. The form builder interface looks almost like the text editor.
- Limited features: You can’t build a complex form with Contact Form 7 because it supports only a limited number of addons. The documentation contains technical jargon which would be hard for beginner users to understand.
Who Should Use Contact Form 7?
Contact Form 7 could be a nice choice if you know HTML and just need to create a simple contact form for your site, and don’t mind digging deeper into docs to find answers when needed.
Which Is the Best Contact Form Plugin For You?
We’ve looked at various popular contact form plugins available for your WordPress site. With all the different contact form plugins out there, it is easy to get overwhelmed.
If you need a fast and easy way to create beautiful contact forms, even with advanced features, WPForms is the best choice for you. You can try the free version and then move on to the premium version when you need enhanced functionality.
If you’re after a feature-rich plugin, and want highly customizable complex forms, Gravity Forms is the best plugin for you.
Which one is your favorite plugin? Let me know by leaving a comment below.