1. Choose a reliable email marketing service.Rather than using a personal email account — like Gmail, Outlook, AOL, or Yahoo — to communicate with a group of email contacts, look into using a professional email marketing service. An email marketing service ensures your message gets delivered, looks great on any screen size, and is trackable, so you can see who is most engaged with you. Want to give email marketing a try? Sign up for a free 60 day trial of Constant Contact here.
2. Add a sign-up form to your website.Once you’ve signed up for an email marketing service, it’s time to start growing your list. Your website is one of the best channels to entice new subscribers to opt in to your list. You just need to entice them with a visible, convenient, and compelling sign-up experience. Here are some tips to keep in mind:
- Visible: Feature your sign-up form on every page of your website. That way, if someone is entering your website through social media or search, and isn’t going directly to your homepage, they’ll still know the opportunity to sign up exists.
- Convenient: Keep your sign up experience as simple as possible. If possible, use an embeddable sign-up form, so visitors don’t have to navigate to a separate page to enter their contact form. You should also keep your form short and only ask for the information you need here — usually first name and email address are enough.
- Compelling: “Join our email list” usually won’t be enough to catch a visitor’s attention and inspire them to sign up. Instead, clearly show your visitors what’s in it for them. Highlight the benefits of your list and don’t be afraid to bait people with an incentive.