The New cPanel Paper Lantern Theme At HostGator | HostGator Blog

HostGator Blog

Web Hosting Made Easy!

Blog / Promotions

The New cPanel Paper Lantern Theme At HostGator

Wednesday, October 5, 2016 by

HostGator cPanel Paper Lantern Theme

We are very excited to announce the launch of the new HostGator Paper Lantern cPanel theme.

The goal of this redesigned cPanel theme is to provide a better user experience to our valued customers.

This new theme will be rolling out to our customers over the next few days. So if you don’t see it immediately, please know that it is coming soon.

Some of the key features that come with this release are:

Search Bar to Find What You Need Quickly

A full page window that allows you to type in any word and it will pull up the relevant cPanel sections or functions.

cPanel Paper Lantern theme

Search Support Articles Without Leaving cPanel

A window that allows you to type in a word or phrase and a list of matching articles in our support documentation will be listed for quick reference. Here’s an example:

cPanel Paper Lantern

Push Notifications So You Don’t Miss Anything Important

Get notified instantly of upcoming changes or exciting news or relevant information about your account.

cPanel Paper Lantern theme

Access Key Areas Through The Left Sidebar Navigation Menu

We’ve also introduced a navigation on the left side so that you can easily access key areas quickly, such as:HostGator cPanel Navigation

Website

This is the traditional cPanel Index page with 10 different sub-categories for faster access to the section you are looking for.  Another great feature is that if you choose to move the sections up and down to better suit your needs, the left navigation bar updates right along with it.  Just move them around to the order that you want, refresh the page, and the navigation bar will be in sync with their new order you have created.

Popular Links

This is a new section that we’ve added and we hope that customers find it as useful as we intended it to be. Popular Links is where we put our most popular links across both cPanel and the Marketplace for quick access.  If for some reason, you decide that Popular Links section is in the way, you can easily get rid of it by clicking the X in the right hand corner.

Server Stats

Stats at your fingertips! The stats section allows customers and support agents alike to get a quick look at the status of their account, including when the latest backup was run or how much data you’re using on the server.  We will continue to refine this page and add more information so please let us know what other data would be valuable in this section.

Domains

Currently this links to the HostGator Domains page. There aren’t any changes to this page with this release, but be on the lookout for some changes coming soon to improve the overall experience of registering new domain names.

MarketPlace

The MarketPlace is our new and improved QuickInstall page. It gives you easy access to things like the HostGator Website Builder, WordPress Themes, or one-click installs of many of the most popular applications.  It also provides links to add-ons like CodeGuard and Sitelock that help you protect your website and its critical data.

Help

When you need help with an issue, the last thing you want to do is try to dig through pages to find it.

With the Help page, you have direct links to the support portal or one-click access to our chat system. There are links to many of HostGator’s custom self-help tools for troubleshooting performance or application problems.

We know that this is a completely different experience for many cPanel users. However, we believe that it is designed in a way that everyone will be able to use it easily and effectively.

If for some reason you don’t love the new theme and want to switch back to the X3 version, no worries – you can do that easily. In the upper right corner, simply select Change Style option under the user profile menu and select the X3 HG theme. This can also be found under the preferences section.

Switch cPanel Theme

Fair warning for those that wish to switch back, though – cPanel is transitioning to this new theme style and the X3 theme will no longer be supported in the near future.

Ready to switch to Paper Lantern? Simply click on the Snappy icon in your preferences section and the new theme will be applied, or you can watch our Facebook Live video below where we walk you through the process. (After pressing play, it takes about 10 seconds or so for the video to start.)

62 Comments
  • Karen
    9 October 2016 at 3:32 am

Finally, I have wasted so much time trying to find the cpanel. Glad to see this improvement.

• Shane
    10 October 2016 at 8:00 am

When will cloud hosting have this new theme?

10 October 2016 at 10:02 am

Hi Shane,
      We’re rolling it out gradually, so you should see it within the next week or two. Please feel free to follow up on this blog post or to contact our support team if you have more questions. Thank you!

• Pierre
    10 October 2016 at 8:37 pm

I just signed up for an account with HostGator and was quite disappointed to see the old X3 interface for cPanel, to the point where I was about to cancel by 3yr initial subscription. Since I have 45 days until I need to make a decision on cancelling, I will stick around, but hopefully this interface upgrade happens sooner than later. Will check back in a week.

12 October 2016 at 9:39 am

Hi Pierre,

We’re planning to have it all rolled out by the 17th. Stay tuned! Thank you.

• Ross
    19 October 2016 at 3:19 pm

YEAH!

• IamDefiler
    19 October 2016 at 3:29 pm

Should resellers see this for their clients?

19 October 2016 at 3:41 pm

Yes, but it will look slightly different. The HostGator branding won’t be on reseller / VPS / Dedicated cpanels

• Bobby R Treat
    20 October 2016 at 1:51 am

That’s all well and good, but I see no sign of anything that has ANYTHING to do with my actual website. There’s a Files section, for instance — but they’re not the files of my website. Where would I find my WordPress site in all this?

20 October 2016 at 11:58 am

Hi Bobby,

You can access your WordPress site by going to your domain name and appending /wp-admin to the end of the URL (for example, enter yourdomain.com/wp-admin in your browser). Hope this helps.

• Thierry
    20 October 2016 at 2:06 am

vefrry Good!!!

• Philip
    20 October 2016 at 5:15 am

Has it been rolled out? I don’t see how to install it anywhere

20 October 2016 at 11:55 am

Hi Philip,

Yes it is now available for all cloud/shared hosting. Please contact our support team for help finding it in your cPanel.

• Claudio Camblor
    20 October 2016 at 6:52 am

In the background, Hostgator design platform it is very robust and its operation is very stable. This new enhancement adds value and will help, Thanks Hostgator

• Fabian
    20 October 2016 at 7:16 am

Hi Amella,
    Any update as to when will this theme be available?

20 October 2016 at 11:54 am

Hi Fabian,

It should be available now. If you are having trouble finding it in your cPanel, please contact our support team.

• Ijewemen Ojo
    20 October 2016 at 5:45 pm

Itchy finger. I can’t wait! Well done, Hostgator.

• Darrell
    20 October 2016 at 7:11 pm

The C Panel was a nightmare for me in the past, glad to see this. Thank you !

• Aftab Hussain
    22 October 2016 at 7:03 am

I have four domain and two website with hostgator.

Now i am very happy with this new CPanel.. It helps me to manage and do my work fastly…

Hostgator this efforts appreciated .

• Corey
    22 October 2016 at 2:54 pm

Is there an option to keep the c-pannel?

The reason I left GoDaddy was just for this reason.

Not a fan.

24 October 2016 at 9:57 am

Hi Corey,

Thank you for the feedback!

Yes, you can easily switch back to the X3 version. In the upper right corner, simply select Change Style option under the user profile menu and select the X3 HG theme. This can also be found under the preferences section.

• DVK
    24 October 2016 at 1:10 pm

Im really dissapointed in cpanel for forcing me to use this theme. It looks pretty good on a smaller monitor but the responiveness on a 24″ 1920×1200 monitor just hurts my eyes. The quick stats are gone. And overall its too bright. I stare at a computer screen all day and its hard to look at a screen that has everything washed out. Really wish I could have just kept my old theme.

24 October 2016 at 2:58 pm

Hi DVK,

Thanks for your feedback. If you’d like, you can easily switch back to the X3 version. In the upper right corner, simply select Change Style option under the user profile menu and select the X3 HG theme. This can also be found under the preferences section.

• DS
    28 October 2016 at 5:32 pm

As a Hostgator customer for several years, I don’t want to switch to a new version of the control panel. I like the old cPanel just fine. And frankly, I don’t have the time to learn a new system. The Google Hangouts tutorial gave me the impression that the switch from the old cPanel to the new Paper Lantern is eventually mandatory. But in your comments, Amelia says that we can keep the X3 version (that’s the old cPanel, right?). Please clarify: will I be required to switch to Paper Lantern at some point in the future, or can I keep the traditional cPanel?

1 November 2016 at 2:20 pm

Hi DS,

Thank you for your feedback. Yes, for now you can keep the X3 version, but we are planning to move customers over to Paper Lantern by the end of this year.

• Gerald Grow
    29 October 2016 at 11:10 pm

Paper Lantern is a horrible theme. It takes the compact, well-organized layout of X3 and messes it up with huge colorful fonts, wasted empty space, and intrusive design. The result is hard to read.

Leave X3! It is clear, functional, straightforward, unintrusive, and fully capable.

Paper Lantern is NOT an improvement in the user experience. It feels like something made for children to use.

• Joan Menter
    3 November 2016 at 1:04 pm

This “new” theme is a real pain. The video won’t play and if you put any more junk on the screen that can’t be “closed” there won’t be ANY room left. The bar on the left obscures the first word(s) of sentences. Makes them useless.

14 November 2016 at 11:47 am

Hi Joan,

Thank you for reading and sharing your feedback. Please consider sharing your thoughts on cPanel with feedback@hostgator.com – that email address is a direct line of communication to our management team.

• Shawn
    7 November 2016 at 5:04 pm

Another long term HG user here who does not want to be forced into the Paper Lantern theme. It is severely reduced and limited in displayed information and accessible options. There is a lot of wasted space and unnecessarily hidden functionality requiring levels of clicking to access. Please retain the X3 theme long term if this is the kind of low/no information ‘cell phone’ style direction the interface is going to adopt.

Your PL interface also fails to display anything on the right 2/3 of the screen on IE11, so it’s also functionality limited by browser in addition to core UI functionality limitations/problems.

14 November 2016 at 11:49 am

Hi Shawn,

Thank you for reading our blog and for sharing your feedback on Paper Lantern. You can reach our management team at feedback@hostgator.com.

• Iwona
    15 November 2016 at 12:46 pm

As for me an old panel was quite good. I know from my experience that such changes are often announced as a great advantage for customers, everything very easy etc, but they really limit customer access to more advanced functions and make them more dependable, like kids that can’t do anything themselves and have to rely on Hostgator with everything.

18 November 2016 at 10:43 am

Hi Iwona,

Thank you for sharing your feedback. Please email feedback@hostgator.com to share your feedback directly with our management team. Thanks for visiting our blog!

• Don Miaw
    17 November 2016 at 11:56 pm

Any way to change text color in Paper Lantern? The light blue text on white background is extremely hard to read. I’m having a very tough time reading Boxtrapper entries, for instance.

18 November 2016 at 10:44 am

Hi Don,

Unfortunately, no, there is not a way to change text color in Paper Lantern. I have shared your feedback with our product team.

Thank you for reading our blog!

• John Antaya
    22 November 2016 at 5:21 pm

The new CPanel looks fine to me. Hope it works as well as it looks.

23 November 2016 at 11:09 am

Hi John,

Happy to hear that! Please continue to let us know what you think via this blog or our support team.

• Fatjola
    22 November 2016 at 5:53 pm

Hello
    It’s been around 4 days that i have problems with hostgator. Once problems with 505 error and now 500 internal problems, but i can’t fix out it because the panel is changed. In chat, there is nothing on the support for this1. Can someone help me?

23 November 2016 at 4:34 pm

Hi Fatjola,

Thanks for contacting us! I check with our support team and they said your ticket was resolved this morning via live chat. If you need further assistance, please contact our support team anytime.

• Not Happy
    22 November 2016 at 5:53 pm

Hi,

This is a terrible idea to restrict x3.

Best Regards

23 November 2016 at 11:16 am

Hi there,

Thank you for your feedback, although I’m sorry to hear that! For a direct line to our management team, you can email feedback@hostgator.com with your concerns about x3.

• Travis
    22 November 2016 at 7:33 pm

Are there any plans to upgrade IonCube to the latest version for PHP7?

I was told that by HostGator support that latest ioncube loaders were not compatible with the current cpanel.
    I’d really like to be able to use the latest version of the IonCube loaders as it’s a part of the web app I am using.

23 November 2016 at 4:32 pm

Hi Travis!

Thanks for reading. We don’t have plans to upgrade right now, but you can email feedback@hostgator.com to share your concerns and provide more feedback for our management team to consider.

• Julio Maysonet
    22 November 2016 at 7:39 pm

Hello,

I think the theme is nice.

I have had some loading problems with paper lantern not loading when login into cpanel. I order for me to get it to load I need to either reload the page or click on one of the links on the leftside for it to work. It doesn’t happen all the times but it does happen.

23 November 2016 at 4:26 pm

Hi Julio!

Thanks for your feedback. We’ve reported this to our developers and will be watching for any additional reports of this trouble. In the meantime, can you try using a different browser?

• Tom Boynton
    22 November 2016 at 8:19 pm

Will the new cpanel paper lantern theme format change the look and feel of my hosted website?

23 November 2016 at 10:26 am

Hi Tom,

Thanks for reading! Good news – the Paper Lantern theme will only affect the look of your cPanel, not your website. I upgraded my cPanel theme a few weeks ago, and it has had absolutely no effect on my personal blog.

• RRREeRERE
    22 November 2016 at 10:43 pm

Am I delusional or is this already on line? I have been using something that looks exactly like this for some time now.

23 November 2016 at 10:28 am

Hi there,

No, you’re not delusional! We started pushing this out a few weeks ago so your cPanel was likely one of the early ones that got upgraded :)

• April Ng
    22 November 2016 at 10:52 pm

Understand that your development team is still working towards issues regarding Basekit Site Builder. Until a resolution is found, update to the Paper Lantern theme should not be mandatory for those who utilize the Basekit Site Builder.

23 November 2016 at 4:03 pm

Hi April,

Thank you for your comment. We are currently working to restore access to BaseKit through the Paper Lantern theme. In the meantime, you can access BaseKit by switching back to an older theme following the instructions here. If you have any other questions, please feel free to contact our support team.

• Richard
    23 November 2016 at 1:51 am

I have a stable web site where I now just add new blog entries from time to time, and might tweak text elsewhere. I do not (knowingly!) need new facilities or to get a fancier interface. But I do realise that things eventually move on.
    What I would like is a YouTube video, or article, that just outlines what I need to understand, and to do, to continue maintaining my existing web site as it is.
    In the absence of this I would look around, as if I struggle to understand how paper lantern affects me and/or how to use it, I would see if alternative holsters have a real easy web builder.

23 November 2016 at 11:24 am

Hi Richard,

Thanks for your comment! I understand your concerns, but I have good news – the new cPanel theme will not affect your website, so you don’t have to do anything outside of your normal routine to keep your site working as it is. My cPanel was upgraded a few weeks ago, and my website has continued working just fine.

If you are looking for a website builder to help you build out additional pages on your site, HostGator includes a free website builder with all hosting plans. You can learn more about that here. Let me know if you have any other questions or you can always reach our support team 24/7.

• Judi
    23 November 2016 at 7:33 am

Will Basekit still be available for building our website or will we have to rebuild from scratch?

• HARSHAL
    24 November 2016 at 7:22 am

Is this a free or chargeable upgrade?

24 November 2016 at 11:25 am

Hi Harshal,

Thanks for reading! The Paper Lantern upgrade is free.

• Semir
    26 November 2016 at 7:23 pm

i love your service still not make a success but your service is great…
    and these is a great move to change the look of our Cpanel…

Now i guess we can Experience a high new level of tech… :)

• ChaCha
    27 November 2016 at 8:54 pm

“When you help with an issue….” Huh? You should have proofread your intro to the New cPanel Theme. But from what I see on Social Media, and even on the News Media websites in the last few years, proofreading is dead!

28 November 2016 at 11:16 am

Good catch, ChaCha! We have updated the post accordingly. Thank you!

• Selwyn Arrow
    27 November 2016 at 10:30 pm

Your orange top of screen x3 to Paper Lantern banner gives Error 404 !!!

28 November 2016 at 11:52 am

Hi Selwyn,
      Thanks for contacting us. We’re sorry to hear you’ve had trouble with the new theme and will be reaching out to you via e-mail for more information.