Setting Up Private Name Servers
Private name servers are DNS name servers associated with a particular domain name, as opposed to those of HostGator. Your private name servers would be set up as ns1.yourdomain.com and ns2.yourdomain.com instead of name servers with a HostGator domain.
In this article, we will discuss the following topics:
How to set up private name servers
To set up your private name servers:
- Log in to your Customer Portal.
- Click Domains from the left-side menu.
- In the Domains section, locate the domain name that will be utilizing the private name servers. Click on More to view the domain's details.
- Hover above the domain's left sidebar and look for the Private Name Servers shield icon.
- On the Private Name Servers page, enter (or edit) the private name servers and their equivalent IP addresses. Use the + or - icons on the right to add or remove private name servers.
- Click on the Save Private Name Servers button.
What to expect after the setup
It may take 24 to 48 hours to register your private name servers. Once your name servers are successfully registered, you can set all of your domain names to use these private name servers.
Like most name server changes, it will take 24 to 48 hours (sometimes quicker) for this change to propagate and function. This delay, called propagation, applies to all domains with any registrar, not just at HostGator. For more information about propagation, you may visit the following article.
- Customer Portal - Domains - This article introduces the different actions you can do on your domain within your Customer Portal.
- Domain How-To's - For streamlined content, you may visit our go-to articles for domain management.