Setting Up Private DNS with LaunchPad Domains
Private name servers are DNS name servers that are associated with a particular domain name, as opposed to being associated with those of HostGator. Your private name servers would be ns1.yourdomain.com and ns2.yourdomain.com, instead of name servers with a HostGator domain.
How to Set Up Private Name Servers
To set up your private name servers:
- Go to http://portal.hostgator.com/domain/manage.
- Log in with your billing account email and password to access your domains. (This will be the same login as https://portal.hostgator.com/.).
- Once logged in, you will see the domains attached to the billing account along with the basic information about each domain.
- In the Domains section, locate the domain name that will be utilizing the private name servers.
- Click More.
- Hover above the domain's left-hand menu and look for the Private Name Servers shield icon.
- On the Private Name Servers page, you can edit the name servers which the domain will point to. Use the + to add additional rows and the - to remove a row.
- Enter the private name servers and their corresponding IP addresses.
- Click the Save Private Name Servers button.
What to Expect After the Setup
It may take 24 to 48 hours to register your private name servers. Once your name servers are successfully registered, you can set all of your domain names to use the private name servers you registered.
Like most name server changes, it will take an additional 24 to 48 hours (sometimes quicker) for this change to propagate and function. This delay applies to all domains with any registrar, not just Launchpad.