How to Register a Domain Name
It is important to note that domain name registration does not require that webhosting be purchased with it, just as web hosting does not require domain name registration through HostGator's registrar LaunchPad. You can choose to sign up for either one separately.
This article will cover the following topics:
- Register a Domain with a New Web Hosting Order
- Launchpad Domain Registration
- Domain Registration & Domain Management System in cPanel
- Does HostGator Protect Me from Domain Name Sniping?
- LaunchPad Domain Registration
Register a Domain with a New Web Hosting Order
If you are ordering a new web hosting package with HostGator, it is best that you register your domain at the same time you purchase your web hosting. On the web hosting order form, there is a section where you can register your domain. Simply specify the domain you want to register on the order form, and we will include it in your order.
Launchpad Domain Registration
If you are registering a domain without hosting, the recommended method is to register it automatically online, however, some domains and payment methods may require you to use support to register your domain:
Register a Domain Automatically
If you are paying with either a credit card or PayPal, you can register any of the following domain names automatically via hostgator.com/domains:
.BIZ .CLUB .CO .COM .HOST .INFO .ME .NET .ONLINE .ORG .SITE .SPACE .STORE .TECH .US .WEBSITE
How to Register Online Automatically
To register a new domain from hostgator.com/domains:
- Enter the domain you want to register in the search box and click the Search button:
- If the domain is not available, you may either search for a different domain, or add a recommended alternative domain to your cart with the Add To Cart button.
- If the domain is available, it will automatically be added to your cart along with domain privacy:
- Privacy protection may be added or removed from your domain by clicking the x or + next to Privacy Protection in your cart.
- You may search for additional domains you wish to purchase, or click the Add To Cart button next to any domain recommendations you'd like to add.
- Once your selection is complete, click the Continue To Checkout button.
- If you do not have an account, you will be prompted to create one, or you may use your existing billing account credentials to login.
- You may review your cart again, and have the opportunity to change your registration term, remove extra domains, or domain privacy. Click Continue to Checkout to proceed.
- Select your preferred payment method, enter your details, and click Place Your Order to complete your purchase.
Once you have completed your domain registration with HostGator, you will be required to validate your domain order. This is a required step in the domain registration process in accordance with the ICANN 2013 Registrar Accreditation Agreement. For more information regarding the domain order validation process, please see the following article:
If you have difficulty choosing a domain name, here are some articles with tips on making your decision:
Register a Domain with Support Assistance
For a complete list of the domains that we can register, including all domains not available through our online portal, please see the following article:
Domain Registration & Domain Management System in cPanel
HostGator's domain management system allows customers with Hatchling, Baby, or Business plans to register new domains and manage existing domains within cPanel. Just look for the Domain Management icon under the HostGator Links section of your cPanel.
This system is linked to your billing account and can be used to register new domains as long as there is an existing credit card on file as long as you know the billing username and password.
Does HostGator Protect Me from Domain Name Sniping?
HostGator cannot guarantee protection from domain name sniping; no one can.
To protect your investment, domain registration should be paid for at the time the domain is ordered, and the payment must have time to process. It might be a good strategy to buy a desired domain name before purchasing hosting for that domain.
How Can My Domain Name Get Sniped?
There are plenty of ways that a domain can be obtained through sniping. Some of the most common methods are listed below.
- It is possible someone else registered the domain name before you did, and the domain still showed as available when checking the availability.
- It happens often that someone orders a domain registration but does not render payment immediately. In that case, anyone else can register the domain name and get it before you do.
- It is also possible after searching for available domain names at another website that registers domains. Some of these registrars are not ethical and have been known to steal domain ideas and then auction the domain back for a much more expensive price.
How to Prevent Domain Sniping
Fortunately, ICANN does attempt to discourage this practice by limiting the number of domain name refunds that are allowed by a registrar. If the domain cannot be refunded, then the corrupt registrar is less likely to risk their money.
We strongly recommend using hostgator.com/domains to search for available domain names to avoid domain sniping.
LaunchPad Domain Registration
LaunchPad is HostGator's own domain registrar. Any domains registered during the initial account set up of Shared and Reseller plans will be part of this system. LaunchPad also allows you to purchase domain names directly at hostgator.com/domains.