Upgrading or Downgrading Servers
Same Hosting Type - No Server Change Required
No server change is required when you switch plans of the same type, as indicated in the table below.
|Account Type||Switch between Plans||Server Change?|
|Linux Shared||Hatchling, Baby, Business||✘|
|Windows Shared||Personal, Enterprise||✘|
|Reseller||Aluminum, Copper, Silver, Gold, Diamond||✘|
Snappy 2000, Snappy 4000
|Legacy VPS w/ cPanel||Snappy 1000, Snappy 2000, Snappy 4000, Snappy 8000 (w/ cPanel)||✘|
|Legacy Semi-Managed VPS|
(VZ only; no control panel)
|Snappy 500, Snappy 1000, Snappy 2000, Snappy 4000, Snappy 8000 (w/ VZ only; no control panel)||✘|
For cases as listed above:
- Name servers and IP addresses will NOT need to change.
- SSL and other custom software will NOT need to be reinstalled.
- Site content will NOT need to be transferred.
Of course, if you separately order a dedicated IP or a new SSL, then those will change and/or be installed per your request.
Thus, adding 4 GB of RAM to a Legacy Basic Dedicated package does not require a server change. However, moving from a Basic Dedicated package to an Elite Dedicated package does require a server upgrade.
New Hosting Type - Server Change Required
Any time you switch types of hosting, a server change will be required. For example:
- If switching between Shared and Reseller and VPS plans, there is a server change.
- If switching to or away from any Dedicated Server plan, there is a server change.
- If moving to or away from a Windows Shared plan, there will be a server change.
- If you are changing types of VPS (from Legacy to KVM VPS), then there will be a server change.
- If you are changing types of Dedi (from Legacy to KVM Dedi), then there will be a server change.
This means the nameservers and IP address will change; SSL and other custom software will need to be reinstalled, and you will need to transfer your site content. These changes cannot be circumvented.
This chart will provide a visual representation of which plans require a change and which don't when upgrading/downgrading accounts.
✔- Requires no server change, thus no content transfer
✻ - Requires a server change
|Shared||Reseller||Windows Shared||KVM VPS||Legacy VPS cPanel||Legcay|
Are you considering the price you have to settle for upgrading the services? Check out the article below:
Can I Upgrade At Any Time? How Much Does It Cost?