HotLinking - Enable and Disable HotLink Protection
Hotlink protection prevents other websites from directly linking to files and pictures on your website. Other sites will only link to file types that you don't specify.
An example of hotlinking. Say I like the image on your website, and I want that image on my site. If I use the full URL of your image on my site, the image is downloading from your site every time someone looks at mine. This means I am using your bandwidth for the image. When you enable Hotlink Protection, I cannot steal your bandwidth anymore.
How to configure Hotlink Protection
To enable Hotlink Protection:
- Log in to cPanel.
- Look for the Security section, then click Hotlink Protection.
- Make sure the domain name you wish to protect is in the box called URLs to allow access.
- Provide the extensions you would like to block in the Block direct access for the following extensions (comma-separated).
- Leave the Redirect request to this URL box blank unless you want outside users to be redirected to another page. If yes, input the destination URL.
- Hit Submit.
- Scroll up a bit and hit Enable.
- A successful confirmation page will appear.
- Click Go Back.
To disable Hotlink Protection:
- On the Hotlink Protection page, click Disable.
- A confirmation page will be displayed.
You have now protected your images from being hot-linked. Just be sure that all of your additional domains are on the Hotlink list.