How to Reboot Your VPS/Dedicated Server
Occasionally, restarting your container can be useful for installations or major configuration changes; however, it is not recommended that container restarts be performed frequently as this can cause more harm than good.
Below are the methods in which you can reboot your VPS or Dedicated server.
- Restarting from WHM [VPS/Dedi]
- Restarting from the Command Line [VPS/Dedi]
- Requesting a Reboot via Form [VPS/Dedi]
New VPS Reboot
1. Restarting from WHM [VPS/Dedi]
WHM is the most common method for accessing your server which you can restart from. Please follow these steps to reboot:
- Log in to the WHM as root.
Please check here for assistance logging into WHM.
- Look for System Reboot from the left sidebar and click Graceful Server Reboot.
- Click Proceed >>
2. Restarting from the Command Line [VPS/Dedi]
Many users are comfortable with using SSH to manage their server. If you have not used SSH access and are interested in learning how, you may do so by reading our article for How to Get and Use SSH Access.To restart your container using SSH:
- Log in to SSH as root
- Enter the command "reboot". Your output should look like this:
root@server [~]# reboot root@server [~]# Broadcast message from root@server-host-name (/dev/pts/0) at 14:52 ... The system is going down for reboot NOW! Connection to ip.add.re.ss closed by remote host. Connection to ip.add.re.ss closed.
3. Requesting a Reboot via Form [VPS/Dedi]
- Log into your Customer Portal at https://portal.hostgator.com/
- If you cannot remember your password, click on the Forgot Password link below the login area, then follow the instructions emailed to the primary email address on file.
- Select Hosting from the left-hand side menu.
- Select Manage on the VPS or Dedicated Server package you wish to reboot.
- Click Request Server Reboot.
- On the next page, you will be able to provide any special instructions for the server when the reboot is requested.
1. Restarting from the VZ Control Panel [VPS]
VPS users additionally have access to the Virtuozzo Control Panel for their server. VZ is commonly used for VPS management and also has controls to restart the entire container. Here is how:
- Log into VZ as root
To access the Virtuozzo Power Panel, go to the following URL:
(SERVER_IP_HERE)with your server's IP address.
- Click Restart at the top of the page.
Your server will immediately restart without additional confirmation. You will also remain logged into VZ as this service runs on top of your VPS.