How to Reboot Your VPS/Dedicated Server
Occasionally, restarting your container can be useful for installations or major configuration changes; however, it is not recommended that container restarts be performed frequently as this can cause more harm than good.
Below are the methods you can reboot your VPS or Dedicated server.
- Option 1: Restarting from WHM [VPS/Dedi] ⤵
- Option 2: Restarting from the Command Line [VPS/Dedi] ⤵
- Option 3: Requesting a Reboot via Customer Portal [VPS/Dedi] ⤵
- Option 1: Restarting from the VZ Control Panel [VPS] ⤵
- Option 2: Requesting a Reboot via Form [VPS/Dedi] ⤵
KVM VPS/Dedicated Reboot
Option 1: Restarting from WHM [VPS/Dedi]
WHM is the most common method for accessing your server, which you can restart from. Please follow these steps to reboot:
- Log in to the WHM as root.
- Look for System Reboot from the left sidebar and click Graceful Server Reboot.
- Click Proceed.
Note: Your server will now be restarted, and you will be disconnected. If there are further actions you wish to take in WHM, you will need to log back into the server.
Option 2: Restarting from the Command Line [VPS/Dedi]
Many users are comfortable with using SSH to manage their servers. If you have not used SSH access and are interested in learning how to do so, read our article How to Get and Use SSH Access. To restart your container using SSH:
- Log in to SSH as root.
- Enter the command
root@server [~]# reboot root@server [~]# Broadcast message from root@server-host-name (/dev/pts/0) at 14:52 ... The system is going down for reboot NOW! Connection to ip.add.re.ss closed by remote host. Connection to ip.add.re.ss closed.
Option 3: Requesting a Reboot via Customer Portal [VPS/Dedi]
- Log in to your Customer Portal.
- If you cannot remember your password, click on the Forgot Password link below the login area, then follow the instructions emailed to the primary email address on file.
- Click Hosting, located on the left-side menu.
- Select Manage on the VPS or Dedicated Server package you wish to reboot.
- Click Request Server Reboot.
- On the next page, you will provide any special instructions for the server when the reboot is requested.
Legacy VPS/Dedicated Reboot
Option 1: Restarting from the VZ Control Panel [VPS]
VPS users additionally have access to the Virtuozzo Control Panel for their server. VZ is commonly used for VPS management and controls to restart the entire container. Here is how:
- Log in to VZ as root.
To access the Virtuozzo Power Panel, go to the following URL:
(SERVER_IP_HERE)with your server's IP address.
- Click Restart at the top of the page.
Your server will immediately restart without additional confirmation. You will also remain logged into VZ as this service runs on top of your VPS.
Option 2: Requesting a Reboot via Form [VPS/Dedi]
Both Legacy and KVM VPS can request a reboot via the Server Reboot form in the Customer Portal. Click on the link below to jump into the instructions.