How to Reboot Your VPS/Dedicated Server
Occasionally, restarting your container can be useful for installations or major configuration changes; however, it is not recommended that container restarts be performed frequently as this can cause more harm than good.
Below are the methods by which you can reboot your VPS or Dedicated server.
- Option 1: Restarting from WHM [VPS/Dedi] ⤵
- Option 2: Restarting from the Command Line [VPS/Dedi] ⤵
- Option 3: Requesting a Reboot via Customer Portal [VPS/Dedi] ⤵
- Option 1: Restarting from the VZ Control Panel [VPS] ⤵
- Option 2: Requesting a Reboot via Form [VPS/Dedi] ⤵
KVM VPS/Dedicated Reboot
Option 1: Restarting from WHM [VPS/Dedi]
WHM is the most common method for accessing your server, which you can restart from. Please follow these steps to reboot:
- Log in to the WHM as root.
Please click here for assistance on logging into WHM.
- Look for System Reboot from the left sidebar and click Graceful Server Reboot.
- Click Proceed >>
Option 2: Restarting from the Command Line [VPS/Dedi]
Many users are comfortable with using SSH to manage their servers. If you have not used SSH access and are interested in learning how you may do so by reading our article for How to Get and Use SSH Access. To restart your container using SSH:
- Log in to SSH as root
- Enter the command "reboot." Your output should look like this:
root@server [~]# reboot root@server [~]# Broadcast message from root@server-host-name (/dev/pts/0) at 14:52 ... The system is going down for reboot NOW! Connection to ip.add.re.ss closed by remote host. Connection to ip.add.re.ss closed.
Option 3: Requesting a Reboot via Customer Portal [VPS/Dedi]
- Log into your Customer Portal at https://portal.hostgator.com.
- If you cannot remember your password, click on the Forgot Password link below the login area, then follow the instructions emailed to the primary email address on file.
- Click Hosting, located at the left-side menu.
- Select Manage on the VPS or Dedicated Server package you wish to reboot.
- Click Request Server Reboot.
- On the next page, you will provide any special instructions for the server when the reboot is requested.
Legacy VPS/Dedicated Reboot
Option 1: Restarting from the VZ Control Panel [VPS]
VPS users additionally have access to the Virtuozzo Control Panel for their server. VZ is commonly used for VPS management and also has controls to restart the entire container. Here is how:
- Log into VZ as root.
To access the Virtuozzo Power Panel, go to the following URL:
(SERVER_IP_HERE)with your server's IP address.
- Click Restart at the top of the page.
Your server will immediately restart without additional confirmation. You will also remain logged into VZ as this service runs on top of your VPS.
Option 2: Requesting a Reboot via Form [VPS/Dedi]
Both Legacy and KVM VPS can request a reboot via the Server Reboot form in the Customer Portal. Click on the link below to jump into the instructions.