How to Clone an Installation with Softaculous
You may want to test or try out any upgrades or changes before applying them to your new installation. Softaculous has the option to clone your installation for this purpose. Follow the steps below to start cloning.
- Clone functionality is readily available only for a few scripts as of this time. More scripts will be updated with this feature soon. See this page for supported scripts: HostGator Softaculous Auto-Script Installer.
- This feature is available in Softaculous 4.2.8.
- Softaculous Remote doesn't have Clone functionality yet.
- The site that was installed manually should be imported to Softaculous. Here's the article: How to Import WordPress or Apps into Softaculous.
- You are logged into your Customer Portal. You can also log in after clicking the link.
- The hosting package you are attempting to access is either Shared or Cloud. The link will only work for the first type of this package listed in the billing account.
Clone Installation Using Softaculous
- Login to cPanel.
- Click the Softaculous icon.
- Go to All Installations page in Softaculous End-User Panel.
- Choose which installation you are going to Clone.
You will see the Clone page with your current installation details. You then need to fill in the details for the cloned installation on the form.
- Enter your Installation details on the next page. This includes the URL, Domain, Directory, and Database name.
- Click Clone Installation at the bottom of the page. Make sure to consider the time of cloning, as the speed depends on the size of the installation.
You’re done! Try now the changes or updates you may want to see using this cloned installation.
- The clone installation details will be sent via email (if enabled).
- The login details (admin/user account) are the same as the source installation account credentials.