How to Clone an Installation with Softaculous
You may want to test or try out any upgrades or changes before applying them to your new installation. Softaculous has the option to clone your installation for this purpose. Follow the steps below to start cloning.
- Clone functionality is readily available only for a few scripts as of this time. More scripts will be updated with this feature soon. See this page for supported scripts: HostGator Softaculous Auto-Script Installer.
- This feature is available in Softaculous 4.2.8.
- Softaculous Remote doesn't have Clone functionality yet.
- The site that was installed manually should be imported to Softaculous. Here's the article: How to Import WordPress or Apps into Softaculous.
Clone Installation Using Softaculous
- Log in to cPanel.
Look for the Software section, then click on Softaculous Apps Installer.
Click the Installations box to view all installations.
- Locate the installation you wish to clone.
- Click the Clone icon beside your website name.
On the next page, you will find the clone installation details. Fill out the necessary fields.Choose Installation URL - Your installation URL will be the URL or web address where people can access the cloned WordPress site.
(1) Choose Domain - Select the website name you wish to clone.
(2) In Directory - Provide the directory name or location where the website files will be saved.
(3) Database Name - This field is auto-filled. You may also go ahead and enter your preferred database name.
Click Clone Installation at the bottom of the page. Make sure to consider the time of cloning, as the speed depends on the size of the installation.
Once the cloning is done, Softaculous will provide you the website and admin URLs you can use to access this cloned installation.
- The clone installation details will be sent via email (if enabled).
- The login details (admin/user account) are the same as the source installation account credentials.