Enable SiteLock SMART Scan
This article is part of our series on getting started with SiteLock. For other articles and helpful tips on activating and using SiteLock services, please see the following articles:
The SiteLock Secure Malware Alert and Removal Tool (SMART) Scan automatically scans your website for malicious code daily and removes it from your site files. The SMART scan will require FTP credentials for your website's document root to set it up.
How to set up SMART Scanner
To set up SMART scan on your website:
Step 1: Launch your SiteLock Dashboard
- If you purchased the SiteLock service from SiteLock directly, please go to http://sitelock.com/ and click Login located in the top right-hand corner. Use the email address you signed up with as the username. You may need to request a password reset if you're unable to sign in.
- If you purchased SiteLock from HostGator, please launch the SiteLock Dashboard via your HostGator Customer Portal.
To launch your SiteLock Dashboard:
- Log in to your Customer Portal.
- Click the Hosting tab.
- Locate the hosting package where SiteLock was purchased, then click its Manage link
- Click the Manage button on the SiteLock tile.
- Next, locate the domain where you wish to manage SiteLock. Click the shield icon under Settings.
Step 2: Configure SMART Scan
- Once you have logged into your SiteLock Dashboard, a pop-up window for SMART configuration will appear.
- Click SMART's Configure button.
- On the next page, the SMART Wizard will be displayed. Please enter the following information:
- Method for File Transfers: Leave FTP selected in the dropdown box.
- FTP Host or IP Address: Enter your cPanel's Shared IP Address, which you can find on the cPanel's homepage.
- (S)FTP Port Number: Enter 21 in the port field.
- User ID: Enter your complete FTP user.
- Password: Enter your FTP password.
Note: You may use your cPanel credentials rather than an FTP account restricted only to your domain name. This will allow SiteLock to see your entire home directory in the next step.
- Once done, click the Test Connection button.
- If the connection is successful, select the document root of your website on the next page.
- Once your website's directory is selected, click This Is It.
- On the next page, automatic malware removal is set to "No, just warn me" by default. You may choose to automatically remove malware by selecting "Yes, automatically remove the malware found" from the dropdown.
Once the setup is complete, your SMART scan will run daily and remove any malware it finds.