Dropping Columns From a Database in phpMyAdmin
The phpMyAdmin tool allows users to DROP a particular column in your table instead of deleting the entire table itself. This article discusses how to drop (permanently delete) columns from a database table in phpMyAdmin.
To drop a column from a table:
- Log in to your cPanel or Plesk.
Navigate to your control panel and click the phpMyAdmin icon.
- In phpMyAdmin, locate the database name from your list of databases, then click the expand + icon.
- From the list of tables under the database, click the expand + icon of your selected table.
- Click Columns.
- In the Columns' Structure tab, select the column name(s) you wish to drop (permanently delete).
- Click the Drop icon from the list of Actions as shown below.
The phpMyAdmin will prompt you the command it will run:
ALTER TABLE 'your_selected-table'
Make sure that this is the column you want to drop. Click Yes to confirm the deletion.
Once done, this column is now no longer part of your table.