Creating a Subscription - Plesk
Creating a Service Plan - Plesk for VPS
What Is a Subscription?
A subscription is an instance of a service plan assigned to a reseller or customer account, much like creating a new cPanel account in WHM and assigning a Package to it. In other words, a subscription is an agreement that allows one to use the resources and services of a service plan in order to run websites and possibly resell them.
EXAMPLE: You create a reseller service plan called MegaMoney. When you want to grant domain privileges and resources to a MegaMoney customer, you will need to subscribe that domain to the MegaMoney plan.
While the reseller's customers can be subscribed to hosting service plans, the resellers can have their own subscriptions to reseller service plans for their own purposes.
Each subscription is linked to the main domain, which is the domain created along with the subscription. You can create and host multiple domains under one subscription, but we recommend you do not do this, as it can limit growth in the future. Specifically, any subscription which hosts multiple domains will be limited to 1 IP address and 1 SSL certificate. This means only one of the domains per subscription can ever have SSL, and all the domains on the same subscription will have the same IP address at all times.
You can also customize existing subscriptions, thus unsyncing the subscription from the service plan. A custom subscription may be useful in case you want to provide unique terms which deviate from your regular business transactions.
You can change an association between a subscription and service plans at any time as follows.
- Change the subscription to use a different service plan.
- Add and remove addon plans to the subscription.
- Remove the subscription associated with the service plan and addons completely.
Parallels Plesk Panel allows for the following subscription states:
- Synced - This means the subscription is associated with a particular service plan, and any changes made to the plan are automatically applied to the subscription.
- Unsynced - This indicates that some services or resources offered with the associated service plan cannot be provided to the subscription, perhaps because you ran out of a particular service or resource.
- Locked - This indicates that the subscription is excluded from syncing with its associated service plan. This happens when you change the parameters of the subscription without changing the associated service plan.
Parallels Plesk Panel also supports different types of user accounts:
Administrator - Parallels Plesk Panel Administrator is the topmost account that has all the privileges in the system.
- Can perform all operations in the system
- Can manage all other user accounts, etc.
- The administrator uses the admin username and password to access the Panel.
Resellers - Subscribers to a reseller service plan.
- Can sign up their own customers
- Sell hosting service plans
- Host its own websites
- Operate within the limits of a purchased service plan
- Have unique username and password to access their own administrative control panel
Customers - Subscriber to a hosting service plan.
- Some customers have permission to create additional domains for themselves
- Some are only allowed to manage those that they have
- Customers use their own control panel to configure service users, web hosting, and other services, like mail, etc.
Users - a service user account that is eligible to manage customer sites based on permissions defined by user roles.
- The user role is an entity that includes privileges to access certain areas of the Panel and perform operations in the Panel.
How Do I Create a Subscription?
- Log in to your Plesk admin panel.
- In the left-hand menu, click on the Subscriptions tab.
- Click the Add New Subscription button.
- Type the main Domain name for your new account. Then, select a Service Plan that is appropriate for this new account.
- Adjust the settings to your preference.
- (A shared IP is fine for now and can be updated later.)
- Type a desired control panel user name and password. Repeat the password as directed.
- Click on the Add Subscription button.
You are finished creating the new account. Now you can go to Subscriptions and click the main domain to modify or change the subscription. You can also click the adjacent Control Panel link to access the reseller/customer control panel for that main domain.