WordPress Export and Import Tools
The import/export tools in WordPress are useful for moving sites hosted with wordpress.com and wordpress.org. To begin importing or exporting sites, log into your WordPress Dashboard using either of the following URLs:
(Replace example.com with your actual domain name.)
The export tool will allow you to save your posts, pages, comments, custom fields, categories and tags to your computer in an XML file format. You can then import the files to another WordPress installation. Just follow the steps below!
- From the left navigation menu in WordPress, click Tools > Export.
- Select an option for what you'd like to export:
- All content
- After making the appropriate selection, click Download Export File.
- A pop-up box will prompt you to download the backup file. Select Save File and click OK.
- Save the file where you can easily find it later.
After downloading your content to an export file, you can upload it to the WordPress site of your choice using the steps below.
- From the left navigation menu, click Tools > Import.
- Choose the system you are importing from. (In this example, we will choose WordPress though there are several other systems from which you can import.)
- If it has not yet been installed, a pop-up box will appear for installing WordPress Importer. Click Install Now.
- Click Activate Plugin & Run Importer.
- Choose the file from your computer (which was downloaded during the export step above).
- Click Upload file and import.
- Create a new author or assign to an existing user, then click Submit.