Upgrading From EasyApache3 to EasyApache4
EasyApache is a built-in cPanel utility used to compile, update, and customize Apache and PHP. EasyApache 3 has been around for a long time, but its support will be ending soon. EasyApache 4 is the successor to EasyApache 3, and with it comes many benefits, such as having prebuilt binary packages and multiple PHP versions, including PHP 7 and 7.1 support. The EasyApache 3 depreciated schedule can be found on cPanel's website here:
Why should I upgrade?
In the past, to update EasyApache 3 or install an Apache or PHP module inside of EasyApache 3 would be required a recompile which meant site downtime. With EasyApache 4, there are prebuilt binary packages, which means there is virtually no site downtime for an install or upgrade. Also, these packages allow updates to be performed with the server automatically, which can maximize the stability and security of the associated services.
According to cPanel, if you are running EasyApache 3, the server's cPanel software will be blocked from upgrading to v62 or later. It is highly recommended to upgrade to EasyApache4 and continue to get the latest updates of cPanel and WHM.
To see which version of EasyApache is running, you must navigate to WHM and log in as the root user. Go to the Software section, then to the EasyApache 4 option.
If the page displays as Currently Installed Packages, the server has EasyApache 4 installed.
If the page displays EasyApache 4 is not available when EasyApache 3 is active, the server is still running EasyApache 3. If this is a HostGator VPS or dedicated server, you can contact us via phone or Live Chat and request a ticket be created to be updated to EasyApache 4.
Frequently Asked Questions
Which versions of Apache and PHP will be installed with Easy Apache 4?
PHP 5.4, 5.5, 5.6, and 7.0 will be installed with Apache 2.4. PHP 7.1 is also available, and please see How can I add, remove or install components for EasyApache 4? on how to do this.
How can I change my site to use a different PHP version?
If a specific site needs to use a certain PHP version, this can be changed in WHM by:
- Log in to WHM.
- Go to the Software section, and select MultiPHP Manager.
- In the User Domain Settings, check the box on the left, next to the domain you would like to have the custom PHP version.
- You will then want to select the desired PHP (ex: ea-php73) in the PHP Version dropdown on the right.
- You will get a confirmation once the PHP has been set to your desired value.
As an alternative, the following can be added to the .htaccess file:
AddType application/x-httpd-ea-php73 .php
How can I run a PHP script using a different PHP version?
Below is how to run a PHP script from the command line for a specific PHP version:
/usr/bin/php -ea_php 73 /path/to/filename.php
How can I add, remove or install components for EasyApache 4?
- Log in to WHM.
- Go to the Software section, and select EasyApache 4.
- Click on the Customize button. This will provide a series of menus to toggle on or off the desired component.
- The last screen will show a list of packages to be installed or removed; click on the Provision button.
- After the provisioning has been completed, click Done, and the main EasyApache 4 screen will return.