Updating the Social Share Image
Looking for help for the Gator Website Builder product? Please see Gator's Knowledge Base.
This content only applies to those using Gator Website Builder.
When sharing your website to social media sites like Facebook, a great way to add visual interest to your post includes customizing the image that is automatically pulled when sharing the site. This is known as a ‘Social Image’ or ‘OG image’, and we will be manually adding an OG Image Meta Tag in order to specify what image will be used by social media.
- Find the URL of the image you would like to use and copy it. Image URLs always end in file types such as .jpg or .png.
- Visit this link to learn how to find an image URL through Google Images.
- If you are trying to use your own photo, you can get a link by uploading the image to a 3rd party image host and looking for a Link Symbol to generate the URL.
- Insert the image URL into the following meta tag:
<meta property="og:image" content="IMAGE LINK HERE"/>
- Within the editor, select Manage on the left side navigation and then choose Advanced.
- In the window that opens up, paste the custom meta tag into the space below Site Meta Tags (Only META and LINK tags are allowed) and then click Save on the bottom right.
- Once completed, Save and then Publish the site to make these changes live.
- Next, we will want Facebook to know there is a new image to display. Navigate to the following Facebook link: https://developers.facebook.com/tools/debug/sharing/
- Enter your full website URL into the area for Sharing Debugger and click Debug. If the new image doesn't show up right away, since it can take a few minutes to update, you may need to hit the "Scrape Again" button a couple of times to force Facebook to re-crawl the site's updated OG content.
- The Link Preview should now be updated with the correct OG Image. Sharing the URL directly to Facebook should reflect the correct image as well.