Unpublishing or Resetting website
- GATOR WEBSITE BUILDER CONTENT -
This content only applies to Gator Website Builder hosting plans which are accessible by going to app.gator.com.
For more articles, check out the HostGator Gator Website Builder category
or directly access the Gator Knowledge Base.
As life changes around you, it's no surprise that you may need to take a break from all that online success. It's also understandable if you have walked too far down the wrong path with your website and want to start over. While other times, you may feel the need to close down your account completely.
No worries, in this article, we will cover the different ways you can temporarily unpublish your website or reset your template.
Temporarily unpublishing your website
If you wish to hide your website from the search engines while you make various changes to your website, you can do so by following these steps:
- Once you have logged into your HostGator account, select the Site Actions button.
- Select Unpublish your Site.
- Click Confirm.
- After confirming, the site is taken offline immediately and will show as Unpublished.
- When navigating to the unpublished site, a 404 page not found exception is shown.
Note: It may take some time before the site is taken down. If you still see the site 24 hours after unpublishing, we suggest clearing the cache and cookies on your browser.
Temporarily resetting your website's template
If you are using the Drag and Drop legacy website editor, you will also have the option to reset your website's template. As you work on your website, testing different elements and settings, you may reach a point of no return that requires you to wipe the slate clean. To start over from the beginning:
- Select Edit Site.
- Click the hamburger menu icon (3 horizontal line icon) in the upper left corner of your dashboard.
- Select Reset Template from the list.
- Click Reset to confirm and reset the theme and clear out the work you have completed.