Troubleshooting 404 Errors
The HTTP 404 Not Found error message is the most common type of website-related errors. The error occurs when the browser is unable to return the content that was requested.
There are several easy ways to resolve 404 errors should you encounter them with your HostGator account. In this article, we will cover the most common causes as well as how to resolve them.
Common Causes of 404 Error
The first 404 error causes are:
- The domain is not correctly assigned to the site in the Control Panel.
- 404 errors can also result from general DNS errors. For example, an external domain name that is assigned correctly in the control panel but is using the wrong A record or trying to connect via name servers (which won't work on our platform).
How to Fix the 404 Not Found Errors
- Correctly Assign Domain in the Control Panel.
Ensure you have the right domain, properly assigned from your control panel, by using the article Change Assigned Website on Domain.
- Check for errors in the URL.
Ensure that the domain you are attempting to access is accurate.
- Try reloading the page by clicking on the refresh button or by hitting F5 on your keyboard.
Also, you can try viewing the URL from Incognito or Private Mode.
- Clear Cookies and Cache in your web browser.
We recommend clearing all data from the beginning of time.