Transferring Away From GoDaddy
- GATOR WEBSITE BUILDER CONTENT -
Moving a domain name away from GoDaddy is relatively simple and can take some time to accomplish.
This article will show the process needed to obtain your transfer code (EPP) to complete a transfer.
Things to Keep in mind when Transfering a Domain:
You cannot transfer a domain within 60 days after the following events:
- Registering or transferring the domain name
- Updating the registrant contact organization
- Updating the registrant contact's first or last name. (organization is not listed)
Before You Begin a Transfer:
First, verify the contact information is correct. This information may include turning off Privacy Settings to Verify that the administrator and Registrant contact information for the domain is accurate. All emails regarding the transfer will go to the administrator's email (or the registrant's email for some domains).
- Ensure that the domain name is not locked, preventing transfer.
- Ensure that your new registrar is ready to accept the domain name.
For more information on Transfers, see ICANN's Transfer Policy:
1. Complete the following steps with GoDaddy:
- Retrieve your authorization code (EPP code).
- Navigate to the “Domain Settings” page.
- From Domain Settings, look for Additional Settings, then click “Get Authorization Code.”
- GoDaddy will email the code to the domain's administrator's address.
2. Submit Request for Transfer:
After you request the authorization code from GoDaddy, you will need to email the necessary details below to one of our advisors here: email@example.com.
- Domain name:
- Name domain is registered:
- Full address registered to:
- Email address registered to:
- Registered telephone number:
- EPP/Authorization/secret code:
3. Check the domain administrator's email:
- Accept the transfer: You will receive an email with instructions to complete the transfer.
- Receive confirmation: You will receive an email to confirm the transfer.
4. Completing a Transfer:
Once you’ve completed the above steps and the status of the domain in the WHOIS shows “Pending Transfer,” - it will take between 7-10 working days to complete the transfer and receive validation from your current domain registrar.