- GATOR WEBSITE BUILDER CONTENT -
You can transfer a domain registered with DreamHost account to your HostGator account by following the steps below.
We will outline how to get a transfer key, also called an EPP code or authorization code, that you'll need to transfer.
Things to Keep in Mind when Transferring a Domain:
You cannot transfer a domain within 60 days after the following events:
- Registering or transferring the domain name.
- The registrant contact organization is updated.
- The registrant contact's first or last name is updated. (organization is not listed)
Before You Begin a Transfer:
- First, verify the contact information is correct. This information may include turning off Privacy Settings to Verify that the administrator and Registrant contact information for the domain is accurate. All emails about the transfer will go to the administrator's email (or registrant's email for some domains).
- Ensure that the domain name is unlocked, preventing transfer.
- Ensure that your new registrar is ready to accept the domain name.
- If you have a third-party Email Service attached to your domain, adjust your MX records with your new domain provider before transferring to prevent an interruption of your email service. You'll keep managing your email subscription through the host you purchased it from.
For more information on Transfers, see ICANN's Transfer Policy:
1. Unlock Your Domain Name:The lock status is displayed through your Dreamhost’s control panel under the Registrations’ page, as well as being shown on a WHOIS lookup. To disable, follow these steps:
- Navigate to the Registration page. The column above shows the Locked option.
- You will see the status No or Yes.
- The status will change after you click the word; however since the domain is already unlocked, there is no need to change it.
2. Retrieve Authorization Code/Key:The second step to prepare your domain registration for transfer is to retrieve your domain’s auth code (or EPP code). This code allows you to request the transfer request with the receiving registrar.
- Go to Panel, then Domains, then Reg. Transfer to view/send the authorization code (EPP code).
- Press the button from the Reveal Auth Code for the domain.
- Depending on Top Level Domain (TLD) type you have, you are either able to obtain your authorization code (EPP code) in the panel or have it sent to the Registrant contact address (as specified by your WHOIS).
3. Submit Request for Transfer:
Once you have obtained the authorization code from your current domain registrar, also known as the EPP or transfer code, you will need to email the necessary details below to one of our advisors here: [email protected]
- Domain name:
- Name domain is registered in:
- Full address registered to:
- Email address registered to:
- Registered telephone number:
- EPP/Authorization/secret code:
4. Completing a Transfer:
Once you’ve finished the above steps and the status of the domain in the WHOIS shows “Pending Transfer” - it will take between 7 and 10 working days to complete the transfer and receive validation from your current domain registrar.